We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single woman travelling by myself - how safe is it?

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Single woman travelling by myself - how safe is it?

Hi all!

I need help please!

I'm planning to travel to Sri Lanka for 10 days by myself. Is it safe? Would it be safe for me to get trains or buses in the day to different cities? Any suggestions on cheap but reliable drivers?

Also, suggestions where to go please?

I don't want to travel too much and want to relax, but also would like to visit cultural, nature and historic sites. Obviously, would love to see elephants! Where to go?

I was thinking Hikkaduwa, Galle and maybe Tangalle?

Quick responses would be much appreciated....as I'm planning to go within the next two weeks....wahhhh all last minute I know!!

Thanks,

Shabz xxx

1. Re: Single woman travelling by myself - how safe is it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2014, 10:30
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,254 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Single woman travelling by myself - how safe is it?

Search the forum for advice on single woman travel. Basically safe as long as you take same precautions as at home.

Your plan will NOT give you "cultural, nature and historic sites" as 60-70% of these are too far from the coast for daytrips. Consider at least 1 of Ella, Kandy and Sigiriya-Dambulla as additional/replacement base...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
11,204 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Single woman travelling by myself - how safe is it?

hey Shabz,

as Erik mentioned, you can't visit much by staying in any of the beach areas. you need at least couple of days in a hotel up in the cultural triangle, so you can see the MUST visit: such as Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Dambulla, you can see elephants there as well, in the Minneriya Narional Park. +1 day in Kandy and one or two days in the hill country, and the rest somewhere down the south coast like Mirissa, Unawatuna o Hikkaduwa.

We are going to Sri Lanka, with a group of friends, leaving Rome 19th April, and flying back 3 May, drop me a PM if you would like to join us and i will give you more details :)

Edited: 04 April 2014, 03:18
4. Re: Single woman travelling by myself - how safe is it?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 April 2014, 10:31
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Single woman travelling by myself - how safe is it?

Generally you can travel safely in express buses and trains ,avoid ordinary buses .I don't think it would be wise traveling alone in a hired car.The western and southern beach areas are relatively safer places. It would be better to hire a guide if you are traveling to cultural places, It is always better to go with a tour agency, if it is first time travel .

6. Re: Single woman travelling by myself - how safe is it?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 April 2014, 10:32
7. Re: Single woman travelling by myself - how safe is it?

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Single woman travelling by myself - how safe is it?

wow!!

Thank you all for your comments, mixed views on safety.

I've decided to just go to one city, which will be Hikkaduwa and just relax.

Now, is it safer to get taxi or bus from Colombo? Does anyone know where I can get the bus from and if it's easy to get to from the airport?

Thank you once again! x

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
2,323 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Single woman travelling by myself - how safe is it?

HI,

It is generally safe for a solo female to travel around as long as you take necessary precautions. Look after your belongings and dress appropriately when travelling in public transport.

You can take a taxi from the airport itself and there are few taxi counters just outside arrival and they are reliable. If you need to take a bus, then you will have to come to Colombo Fort and then take another bus from the main bus station in Fort to Hikkaduwa.

Rgds,

Treshi.

10. Re: Single woman travelling by myself - how safe is it?