I will be backpacking to Sri Lanka , solo traveler. I wish to experience more on local culture (+ street photography) > historical sites > hill country > beaches .
Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
The following is the draft itinerary :-
Colombo Airport (Arrival time 1450) --> (bus 5 hrs) Dambulla 2N (Dambulla , Sigiriya , Polonnaruwa ) --> (bus 3 hrs) Trincomalee 2N --> ( via Vavuniya / direct bus ?) Jaffna 3N --> (bus 5 hrs) Anuradhapura 2N --> (bus 5 hrs) Kandy 4N --> ( TRAIN : Kandy-Peradeniya-Nanu Oya) Nuwara Eliya 2N --> Haputale 2N --> (TRAIN) Ella --> (bus) Tissa ( Yala National Park) 1N --> (bus) Tangalle 2N --> (bus ) Galle 2N --> Colombo 1N --> (bus) Negombo 2N--> Airport ( Departure 1155)
1) Hill country – better weather in May or June ?
2) Trincomalee to Jaffna - Is direct bus available ?
3) Ella to Tissa - Is direct bus available ?
4) What’s the name of the railway station to get off if taking train from Colombo? ( to experience the short route where train runs very close to the coast)
5) The best place to see the tilt fishermen ?
6) Is Kandy the best place to see the locals celebrating full moon Poya Day ?