We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in Sri Lanka?

London, United...
9 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon in Sri Lanka?

Hi,

My girlfriend and I are getting married in September, and are trying to decide where to spend our honeymoon. My girlfriend would like some luxury, some pampering and quite a lot of being by a beach and away from lots of other tourists. I would also like to be away from lots of other tourists, am happy with a bit of beaching but also want a bit of adventure and exploration. Combining this, we thought that Sri Lanka might be the answer. What do you think??? Is September/October a good time to visit?

It will probably be for about 2 weeks, and we are happy to move around a little bit. Ideally we would probably stay in 2 or 3 places (any more than that and my girlfriend will complain that it is not relaxing enough...) For accommodation, we obviously want something special but not really part of a resort. Ideally we want a little hut on a fairly remote beach but also want it to be a bit fancy (not too ramshackle). We probably want it to be all-inclusive for some of the time (although that is not a necessity). We will also want to do some activities (trips into the forest, snorkelling, etc).

Our budget (excluding flights) is about £1000 ($1650) each. Does this seem reasonable?

Thanks,

Jack

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
5,463 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in Sri Lanka?

Does it have to be a full 2 weeks by the beach ?

In September you should be looking at the eastern beaches. You also have enough time to stay at one of the nice hotels in the cultural triangle on your way (or back) from one of the beach locations.

You can split your time between the cultural triangle, trincomalee passikudah and anything else you might prefer.

Luxury places will cost about 200$ a night though, so you're looking at around 2800$ for the hotels. But there are other options as well.

Galle, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
1 post
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in Sri Lanka?

Also stay a night at the Galle fort which is more like a colonial style calm and romantic city inside of a busy city in Galle. The Galle fort is resting near the beach so you have that option of enjoying the beach too. I recomend there if you want to go for a dinner out too. as the food is good and more of a candle light, outside dinning. Inside the Galle fort there are many places to stay, starting from $40. You can head to unawatuna which is 10min away from Galle fort may be stay in front of the beach. And why not try watching blue whales too.

Then travel from down south to Ella. Ella is a superb wildlife adventurous place to be around. And move to the hill country side touching Nuwaraeliya and then Kandy if you like. Its a heritage city. more of a cultural one. Stay at the hilltop hotel. it has a nice view. Head to dambulla and Kandalama areas.

For beaches as the previous post say, the east coast is so superb. Trinco and batticaloa are heavenly. There are many beach front stay options in Sri Lanka. Arugambay is recommended for surfing too. Hope my tip helps.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon in Sri Lanka?

There is no whale watching near Galle (Mirissa) in September.

Hans

London, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon in Sri Lanka?

Thanks for your responses! We are now starting to think that Sri Lanka is definitely the place for our honeymoon so have done a bit more research but still have a few questions.

At the moment it seems like we should mainly visit the east coast for beaches (Kalkudah, Passikudah, Uppuvedi, Nilaveli, Arugam bay) as the weather/swimming/snorkelling will be the best. Is this correct? Would you recommend all 5 of these places? Which in particular?

The train journey from Batticoloa to Colombo also looks amazing and seems to go through the cultural triangle so we are thinking to stop there for a few days. What are the highlights in terms of activities and places to stay? What should we definitely try to see?

As the weather on the south coast will not be the best in late September we were thinking to not travel down to the south but is this a mistake? Yala National Park also looks amazing - maybe we should visit for a few days from Arugam bay?

Thanks for any help.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon in Sri Lanka?

Arugam Bay is surfers paradise - not for swimming/snorkeling.

Yala will likely be closed in September.

Weather in the south is not bad in September, but the sea will be too rough for safe swimming.

Hans

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon in Sri Lanka?

We are also looking to Honeymoon in Sri Lanka, we are looking for part sunbathing, safari and tours.

How easy is it to get around the country ?

Best time of year to go?

Will be following this post with great interest

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon in Sri Lanka?

West coast is best from Christmas to April. East coast is best from May to October.

Hiring a car/van with driver is most convenient for getting around.

Hans

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon in Sri Lanka?

Thanks so much, what Safari's would you recommend from May - October?

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon in Sri Lanka?

E,g, 'elephant gathering' in Minneriya in August.

Hans

uk
Level Contributor
240 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon in Sri Lanka?

I stayed in Sri Lanka with my partner last April and we loved 'Jim's Farm Villas' and I think it would be a lovely place for a honeymoon. Rather than me describing it - have a look at the their website - it just as idyllic in reality (apart from the gecko poo!). If you don't like dogs though, you should know that the owner's dogs are often around but they are very friendly.

http://www.jimsfarmvillas.com/Home_Page.html\

However, part of the reason we loved it so much was that it was still a relatively new place to stay and for 8 out of our 10 nights there we had the whole place to ourselves! The staff were wonderful and the food was amazing.

It is in a perfect location within easy driving of the cultural triangle attractions- Sigiriya, Dambulla, Minneriya National Park etc and Kandy.

We stayed full board and they arranged a driver for us (which we paid for per trip) - the whole thing cost us a lot less than you would expect for such luxury.

It would be a lovely place for a honeymoon but, if you want somewhere quiet - check first whether there are any children booked in! I arranged everything direct with the owner and the manager online. Please free to ask me any questions about it.

Edited: 20 April 2014, 16:42