We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 day short trip

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
3 day short trip

Hi all,

I need help with scheduling my itinerary in SL.

We will be landing in Colombo early hours on the 22nd and will be flying out on the 25th at around 6am. I need help with scheduling my stay. I wish to travel to Kandy, Dambulla and Sigriya.

Current plan:

22nd: Land in Colombo, Travel from airport to Dambulla - Visit Dambulla caves and sigriya. Stay overnight in Dambulla

23rd: Travel from Dambulla to Kandy - Visit Tooth temple, botanical garden etc and stay overnight in Kandy

24th: Travel to Colombo via Pinnawala and spend day in Colombo.

25th Fly out of Colombo.

Does the above itinerary sound reasonable or would it be too rushed. Also, would I be able to add any more to it. Also, what would be the best means of travel for the above and some good hotels at Dambulla, Kandy and Colombo? It is the wifeys bday and I wish to provide some luxury :)

Look forward to hearing from you guys.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,751 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 day short trip

Hi there,

Extremely packed, JUST doable, don't add anything! 22th is 6 hours on the road, 23th 3 hours and 24th also 3 hours. Car-driver needed. Dambulla: Kandalama hotel, Kandy Cinnamon Citadel or Earl's Regency and Colombo Hilton or Taj.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 day short trip

Thanks for the prompt reply Erik. What is the best means of transportation from the airport to Dambulla? Can I get a direct bus from the airport? What would be the price of a taxi for that leg

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,751 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 day short trip

DON'T try to use one-way rides as they have a much higher price per km (due to returning empty). And as saud "Car-driver needed", with public transport the travel time is 50-60% higher. E.g. Airport-Dambulla is not 4:30 hours but 7 hours, with two transfers and wait time.

The roundtrip would be around 600 km and fair price for it LKR 27,000 but it depends a bit on what exactly you do once at Kandy, as that influences mileage.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
5,127 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 day short trip

As for the hotels in Colombo, I'd choose one of the Cinnamon hotels instead of the Hilton. The Hilton has a nice lounge and restaurants but the rooms are in need of (and is going through) a refurbish.

There are few other nice (yet overpriced) smaller hotels that you can choose from.

5. Re: 3 day short trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2014, 17:38
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
238 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 day short trip

Hello,

Stayed at Cinnamon Lakeside Nov last year. The lake view rooms are just too good.

For lower budget try Ramada.

Regards,

Piyush Sengar

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 day short trip

Hi

Better to stay 24th night in Negombo or Gateway hotel (Airport garden)

Negombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
95 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 day short trip

Your itinerary is not a tight schedule. It's a reasonable plan. But if you gonna use public transportation, you are in a trouble with time. You should better get a car with driver for around US $50 per day.

I think staying in negombo is better than staying in colombo. There is so many good places in negombo.

Greetings !!!

Krish SL

9. Re: 3 day short trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2015, 05:17