We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Indian Rupee to LKR

Mumbai (Bombay...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Indian Rupee to LKR

I can visiting SriLanka with my family from India , I wanted to know , can I directly buy LKR from Indian Rupee at the Colombo airport....Or do I have to buy USD first and then convert that to LKR ?

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Indian Rupee to LKR

INR can't be changed to LKR at the airport. Money changers outside the airport (e.g. Negombo, Colombo etc.) will change INR to LKR.

Hans

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Indian Rupee to LKR

Hi

Do not buy USD and then LKR, as you lose twice when exchanging.

Currently you can get around Rs 1.95 - 2 for 1 INR

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,057 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Indian Rupee to LKR

Absolutely, BUT for first expenses upon arriving sometimes it's needed - e.g. if you travel by bus and not by cab (the latter you can ask to stop at a money changer before arriving at your destination and afterwards you can pay). So if you travel by bus, you DO need to bring some USD for exchange at airport _or_ trust that the Commercial Bank ATM at airport works (Cirrus and Maestro debit cards ar least) and withdraw Lankan rupees there.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

PS Also applies if you travel by cab in middle of the night, as money exchangers in towns aren't really open 24h...

Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Indian Rupee to LKR

Hey guys

What will be the current usd to lkr exchange rate ??

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Indian Rupee to LKR

You can get an indication here:

http://www.sampath.lk/exchangerate.php

Hans

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,057 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Indian Rupee to LKR

See e.g.

http://sampath.lk/exchangerate.php

Around 129 now.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Indian Rupee to LKR

Thanks guys.. u rock !!!

Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Indian Rupee to LKR

Why do u say that buddy... INR 59 = 1 USD = 130 lkr ... so u certainly get a slightly better rate this way than directly converting inr to lkr.. However one does have to go through the task of doing an exchange twice .. ;)

9. Re: Indian Rupee to LKR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2015, 06:17