We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Sri Lanka Fun?

London, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is Sri Lanka Fun?

Hi,

I am thinking of visiting Sri Lanka in May/June 2015 and I wanted to ask how ‘fun’ is Sri Lanka? By that I mean is there much going on at night, are there beach bars or is it more sedate? While I am not necessarily looking for clubbing I wouldn’t want to be tucked up in bed at 10pm. I would like a town with a good beach, some beach bars and good places to eat (I hear the food is amazing). Hotel wise I would be happy with a wide range (big, small, cheap, more expensive etc) as long as it had plenty going on and was lively. A pool and a pool bar would be great too. As a couple we have been to our fair share of places and are not afraid of trying new things. My idea of hell is a couple’s resort where people don’t mix. And no all-inclusives!

Is there anywhere in Sri Lanka that would fit the bill or should i look at Southern India or Thailand?

Thanks

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,261 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Sri Lanka Fun?

Hi there,

SOME places indeed have a mini-Goa or mini-Phuket like atmosphere yes. However it depends a bit on the season whether they're full and alive or half-empty. In May I'd go for Arugam Bay, Hikkaduwa, Unuwatuna or Mirissa. In June solely Arugam qualifies as it's bottom low season (and not that good weather) in the other three then, from mid July it picks up there again but whilst party and swim scene then is good for snorkel and dive it's not the season there.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Sri Lanka Fun?

Night life in Sri Lanka is quite low level compared to Thailand.

Hans

London, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Sri Lanka Fun?

thanks for your comments.

For sure I am not after trashy tourist’s bars. Some parts of Thailand fill me with dread. I just want that option that if I want to stay out there is always somewhere fun to go. Mixing with locals is a big plus too.

I don’t do yoga and I couldn’t stand lying on the beach tanning all day.

St Albans
Level Contributor
352 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Sri Lanka Fun?

I think Colombo is probably the only place where you get a wide variety of nightlife with plenty of Sri Lankan people also going out. Apart from that, the tourist resorts are more low-key and also obviously more aimed at tourists.

5. Re: Is Sri Lanka Fun?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2015, 05:17