We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peanut Allergy - Is this a decent translation?

los angeles
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Peanut Allergy - Is this a decent translation?

Hello all,

So I went to some translating website and tried to translate my peanut allergy in Sinhala so that I can create some type of note card that I can hand to restaurant servers before I order. Below is a link which will take you to what I got. Is it close enough so that people will understand? Thanks for your help.

*I used bitly to shorten the web address where the pdf file is located.

http://bit.ly/1nGd4Gf

los angeles
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Peanut Allergy - Is this a decent translation?

I'm starting to realize that what I posted earlier is probably a poor written translation. Can anyone on here write it out, take a picture of it, and then post somewhere? I'm just a bit worried about my peanut allergy. I want it to say, "I'm allergic to peanuts. Please NO peanuts in my food." Thank you.

7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Peanut Allergy - Is this a decent translation?

Hello,

use the below sentence for avoid peanuts in your foods.

"මම පීනට්වලට ඇලජික්. මගේ කෑමවලට පීනට් නොදමන්න"

thanks

Mohammed

Bentota, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
522 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Peanut Allergy - Is this a decent translation?

Hi There,

Just to little comfort you your worries, In Sri Lanka we do not use much peanut in our cooking as some of other Asian countries e.g. Thai, China,Singapore. but of course widely available in Sri lanka , I am sure you will be able communicate much easily than you think in Sri Lanka to make your chef's are understand your concern.

All the best

Edited: 15 June 2014, 13:49
los angeles
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Peanut Allergy - Is this a decent translation?

Thank you!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
4,677 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Peanut Allergy - Is this a decent translation?

Well yeah.

As long as they realise that a lot of sauces and condiments can include traces of peanuts. A typical Sri Lankan restaurant is not so aware of the health issues and risks concerning allergies.

The local word for peanuts is රටකජු

The word for cashews and nuts in general is කජු

Bentota, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
522 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Peanut Allergy - Is this a decent translation?

Yeah well,

Generally there isn't any typical Sri Lankan dishes which contained peanut,

I would assume that you will dining at in mid range restaurant in Sri Lanka rather than typical restaurants.

The protein which caused allergic in peanut is not present in Cashew nuts, even though cashew nuts is widely available in large hotel kitchen but not much of peanut.

In Sri Lanka peanut mostly used for nibbles/snacks rather than for cooking unless otherwise dishes introduced from other countries such as chicken satay, of course you will not find those dishes in typical Sri Lankan restaurants,

Mostly hotel /restaurant who served such dishes should have decent level of understanding of dietary requirements and knowledge of English language where you will be able communicate your requirements .

In old days it might have been difficult for such a dietary requirements in Sri Lanka but now slowly by surely with growing demand of those dietary e.g. Allergy /cultural/ religions many of hospitality staff now seems to have some understanding of those requirements.

hope you will be able to enjoy Sri Lankan cuisine without any trouble.

All the best

Helsinki, Finland
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Peanut Allergy - Is this a decent translation?

Thank you! I have the same problem with peanuts. I'll make a card out of this. How do you pronounce it?

Level Contributor
1,047 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Peanut Allergy - Is this a decent translation?

Hi. It's pronounced "RATA KADJU"

9. Re: Peanut Allergy - Is this a decent translation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 November 2015, 05:16