We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo female safety concern

Munich
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Solo female safety concern

Dear all! I am hoping to visit Sri Lanka in August/September 2014 together with my 16-year-old daughter. Feeling responsible for her safety I want to be very sure I am not taking any unnecessary risks.

- We will be touring the island for 12 days with a car and driver, doing the usual touristy things. I guess that should be no problem.

- Then I was planning on spending a week on the east coast, probably Nilaveli, in a guesthouse. During this week we will be on our own, and we would not like to feel confined to our guesthouse. Will we be safe, or would it be advisable to stay in a hotel and not leave the hotel grounds unaccompanied?

I know this question has been asked before, but a report on the German tripadvisor site plus the increasingly warning tone of the website of the German Foreign Ministry have made me uncertain about whether / where to go.

I would very much appreciate feedback, especially from female travelers who have travelled Sri Lanka / the east coast recently.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo female safety concern

You should be perfectly safe on the east coast. Just take precautions you would take at home.

Hans

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,033 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo female safety concern

Yes including any risks of contact with local men. E.g. a risk 'famous' in Unuwatun, Mirissa and Arugam but not yet heard of at Nilaveli: spiked drinks followed by attempts of kidnap/rape. Hence if with local men she has to doublecheck everything that happens between opening the sealed bottle and her drinking from the glass. But again, these disks are also not fully uncommon in e.g. house parties in Europe...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo female safety concern

Hey,

As long as you dont attract any attention and dress appropriately, you should be fine.

4. Re: Solo female safety concern

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2015, 05:16