We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adam's Peak - Unduvap Full Moon Poya Day 2014

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Adam's Peak - Unduvap Full Moon Poya Day 2014

Dear TA forum users

My wife and I will be in Sri Lanka next December. We are planning on climbing Adam's Peak. on December 7th. We understand that Unduvap Full Moon Poya Day is on December 6th. Our question is: is it worth changing our plans/hotel booking to climb Adam's Peak a day earlier?

Thank you in advance!

Patrick D.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,261 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Adam's Peak - Unduvap Full Moon Poya Day 2014

Hi there,

Definitely not, as all Poya days are extremely crowded. It'll reopen on 6th I think so that's an extra reason for big crowds. Normal pilgrim crowds on all days are enough to create a good atmosphere for tourists.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Adam's Peak - Unduvap Full Moon Poya Day 2014

Adams Peak will also be very crowded on December 7th - as it's a Sunday.

Hans

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Adam's Peak - Unduvap Full Moon Poya Day 2014

My gratitude to both of your inputs.

Best regards

Patrick D.

Singapore
Level Contributor
122 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Adam's Peak - Unduvap Full Moon Poya Day 2014

Hi Patrick,

Apparently you've got the same dilemma as us. So what have you guys decided?

If by 7th Dec, a Sunday night, since most pilgrims commence the climb after midnight, would it still be as crowded on 8th Dec 2-6a.m.? I am still confused by which day to judge the moon by as midnight should begin a day, but the moon appears much earlier.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Adam's Peak - Unduvap Full Moon Poya Day 2014

Those who climb it on 7th will most probably stay there until the 8th morning because everyone wants to watch the sun rise. Things depend on what route you select to climb and time you want to reach the peak. Good plan is to climb it over night reach it by 4.00 or 5.00 in the morning and start climbing down around 8.00 a.m. we always do this and we do not select Hatton route to climb up which is the quickest but mostly crowded. Insted we climb through Kuruwita or Rathnapura roads and climb down through Hatton. Root through rathnapura and Kuruwita is much more seneric but it needs average 6-7 / 10-11 hours of walking. Advantage is the route is not much crowded, runs through the forest and it is much better to climb slowly up than waiting just to move up one step. In season all the routs are light up so nothing to warry about night climbing.

Phuket
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Adam's Peak - Unduvap Full Moon Poya Day 2014

Does anybody know what the moon situation is on the night of the 26th / 27 of December 2014? Or if it is busy for any other reason? It is a Friday / Saturday. It is my 50st and I would like to spend it on the mountain, but not stuck on the stairs. Please advise.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,261 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Adam's Peak - Unduvap Full Moon Poya Day 2014

Hi there,

Slightly busy yes due to being on a weekend, but no full moons. So it'll be a slower ascend than on quieter weekdays but should be doable.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Colombo, Sri Lanka
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Adam's Peak - Unduvap Full Moon Poya Day 2014

Hi every one please think about the season ur going up its really peakdays after dec 6th for neally three months. Even its crowded it will be a different experience u find. Better start two hours before. it is amaizing to see the sun rise dnt mis that guys.

best regards zuhdhi

Phuket
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Adam's Peak - Unduvap Full Moon Poya Day 2014

Thank you EricdR and zuhdhi.

We are planning to go after sunset and take our time. We want to 'spend the night" on top wrapped in a blanket. Is that an idea or does that end up to be hellish? We will take our very lightweight camping chairs to sit and sleep on/in. I wish my Birthday was on a weekday but I feel lucky it is in "season" at least.

Really looking forward to it - ( especially the bath after we return to the hotel ) ;-)

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,261 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Adam's Peak - Unduvap Full Moon Poya Day 2014

Yes good idea to leave 1-2 hours before the big crowds, leave 11 PM at last. It's chilly indeed but with good blankets one can manage.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]