We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggested Itinerary for September 14 day trip to Sri Lanka

Dublin, Ireland
3 posts
Save Topic
Suggested Itinerary for September 14 day trip to Sri Lanka

Hi,

Myself and my girlfriend are currently trying to plan a 14 day trip to Sri Lanka.

We would like to have an even balance of sightseeing and beach time. During the time allocated for beach we could do a couple of day trips that would be logistically feasible.

So far plan is to land in Colombo 13th Sept @ 5:30AM

Fly out from Colombo 27th Sept @ 6:00PM

14 nights total

Ideally we would like 3/4 days beach at both ends of the trip. I was hoping to be able to do the southwest (Hikkaduwa/Unawatuna) and the east coast (around Trinco). However I do not know how feasible this is.

In terms of sightseeing we would like to do Buduruwagala Temple & waterfall, Yala national park, Galle, Mirissa, Elephant Orphanage, Kandy & Botanical Gardens, Pinnawala, Dambula, Sigirya, Polonnaruwa, Anuradhapura. I know this is probably too ambitious so we would love to hear opinions and any recommendations on essentials we should see or places that are not so essential.

Right now I do not know how realistic it is to see so much sights sandwiched between beach time. In terms of transport we would be happy to hire a private driver for large parts of the trip. If we go down this route I would be very appreciative of suggestions on a reliable friendly driver and how much this may cost.

Thoughts and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,631 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggested Itinerary for September 14 day trip to Sri Lanka

Hi there,

The driver has a minimum daily mileage, so the model would be:

1] Cab airport-Colombo and then train to Hikka/Una

2] 2-3 nights rest (halfdaytrip to Mirissa)

3] Start of the tour, finishes at Trinco

4] Day before last take train to Colombo and stay there or Negombo

Now the tour, should be about 7 days if I calculate well. Route would be

* 1 night Tissa-Yala

* 2 nights Ella (see Buduruwagala and Ella waterfall on your way)

* 2 nights Kandy (also Pinawela from here)

* 2 nights Dambulla for the Triangle. You might have to choose between A'Pura and P'ruwa to make all fitting, these overlap quite a bit

and then to Trinco as mentioned above.

The driver should cost around 1200 km (you also pay his empty ride back to South) which is Rs 54,000 --> USD 500 for the 7-8 days. Search forum for names of large operators or ways to get recommendations of good freelance drivers.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Dublin, Ireland
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggested Itinerary for September 14 day trip to Sri Lanka

Many thanks Erik and Sandya for the prompt reply with excellent suggestions. We really appreciate it!

In relation to your suggestions, regarding the driver is the price quoted the approximate total for the 7/8 days excluding the return journey or just the return journey price? I understand that we have to cover the costs of the drivers accommodation/food. Is it acceptable to ask the driver to book his own accommodation at budget/local prices and for us to stay in hotels we select?

I have heard good things about private freelance tour guides rather than tour companies so I think we may go for this.

Regarding the itinerary it sounds great to me. Do you think we have enough time for the elephant orphanage and if so would kandy be the best place to do this from?

Many thanks,

Craig

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggested Itinerary for September 14 day trip to Sri Lanka

Most hotels/guesthouses provide free accommodation and food for drivers/guides.

Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage is approx. 1 hour driver drive from Kandy - each way.

Hans

Dublin, Ireland
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggested Itinerary for September 14 day trip to Sri Lanka

Thanks for the reply Hans. Based on the suggested itinerary above would it be better to keep a driver for the 3/4 days in Trinco solely for the purpose of return to Colombo for the flight home. The last few days would be beach time. I would prefer not to travel back the day before and stay in Colombo or Negombo and instead spend our last night in Trinco leaving early the next day to get our flight leaving at 6PM. Would this be a good or bad idea? Actually now that I mention it would it be a good idea to get a car/driver for the entire 14 day trip? Also do we need to advise hotels in advance that we will require accomodation for our driver/guide?

Thanks,

Craig

Bentota, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
522 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggested Itinerary for September 14 day trip to Sri Lanka

Hi Craig

It will be very very long journey to do before catching the flight,

All the best

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,631 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggested Itinerary for September 14 day trip to Sri Lanka

Hi again,

1] Yes it's the total price, assuming you pick accomodation with a free drivers quarter.

2] He'll gladly do that but it will cost you between Rs 18,000 and 27,000 extra as he has a minimum daily mileage of 100-150 km. Or alternatively you hire an extra one-way cab for the last day but that costs you around Rs 20,000 for the long ride also.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

7. Re: Suggested Itinerary for September 14 day trip to Sri Lanka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2015, 06:16