We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeking advice on 6 days itinerary (28 Aug to 2 Sep)

Hanoi, Vietnam
2 posts
Save Topic
Seeking advice on 6 days itinerary (28 Aug to 2 Sep)

Hi all,

We have 6 days in Sri Lanka and have worked out the following route:

Day 1: Kuala Lumpur - Colombo - Sirigya

Day 2: Sirigya (Lion Rock) - Dambulla (Cave Temple) - Kandy

Day 3: Kandy (Temple of the Tooth, the accient street) - Nuwara Eliya (Sita Temple, Tea Plant)

Day 4: Hortain Plain - Sinharaja Forest Reserve - Galle

Day 5: Galle (Galle Fort, the old town, Mihiripenna Beach) - Koggala (Stilt fishing)

Day 6: Galle - Colombo (Gangaramaya (Vihara) Buddhist Temple, shopping) - Kuala Lumpur

I actually want to add Polonnaruwa but am afraid we cannot make it given the tight schedule. Even if we choose it over Sinharaja Forest, which I belive is not so interesting to us, I dont know how to change the route because we must arrive Nuwara Eliya by night so that we can to to Hortain Plain early next day.

Another concern is tea plants are closed on Sunday or both Sunday and Saturday?

Finally, is September a good time to trekking World's End ? And should we expect to see people stilt fishing in Koggla by that time?

Thanks a lot for your all valuable advice.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,036 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeking advice on 6 days itinerary (28 Aug to 2 Sep)

Hi there,

1] Stilt fishing is an expensive tourist trap, no one does it as fishing job anymore. Rather useless IMHO.

2] You can't do Sinharaja as you need to enter 9 AM at last to see some birdlife and be out before the usual midday rains; and you have a 3 hour drive from HP to Sinharaja _and_ are trekking HP from 7 AM to 10 AM.

3] Yes no problem HP in September.

4] Some tea factories close Sat and Sun yes but some will be open Saturday at least. Check with your driver.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Hanoi, Vietnam
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeking advice on 6 days itinerary (28 Aug to 2 Sep)

Thanks for your immediate reply, ErikdR.

So do you think that I should skip Polonnaruwa?

And what if I go to Ella i/o Sinharaja in the afternoon of Day 4?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,036 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeking advice on 6 days itinerary (28 Aug to 2 Sep)

Hi again,

Yes impossible to add, already too packed. Yes on day4 you could stay in Ella and then day5 make the trip to Galle. On your way maybe visit Mulkirigala rock temple near Beliatta, it is similar to the Dambulla Golden cave temple but much quieter.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

4. Re: Seeking advice on 6 days itinerary (28 Aug to 2 Sep)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2015, 06:16