We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Acomodation for a driver?

Warsaw, Poland
5 posts
Save Topic
Acomodation for a driver?

Hello there!

We are traveling to Sri Lanka from 27th July - 16th August. First half of the time would like to travel from Negombo to Dambulla, ancient cities, then Kandy, Nuwara Eliya to end up on a beach in Unawantuna, and last day in Colombo.

From what I understand hiring a driver will be best option, and my first question is WHERE DO YOU FIND THE DRIVER?

Second question is about the ACOMODATION FOR A DRIVER. I have contacted a hotel in Kandy, and they dont have an acomodation for driver. Can we still stay there, or is it neccesary to find a place with rooms for drivers?

I would apreciate the help a lot!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,586 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Acomodation for a driver?

Hi Matilda,

2nd question is easy. You are responsible for driver accomodation. If a hotel offers it for free that's better, if they don't you pay Rs 2000-2500/night extra for the driver as he finds a guesthouse room and food nearby. See

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293961-c148004/Sri-L…

for some advice.

1st is more difficult. Large operators more or less guarantee quality but not always lowest price; e.g. Aitken Spence, Luxe Asia, Red Dot, Tangerine and Walkers. Freelancers recommended openly in the forum often can't be trusted as too many locals use fake accounts and ditto recommendations for themselves/friends. If you want freelancer, send PM to regular posters including the DE's for names.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Warsaw, Poland
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Acomodation for a driver?

Hi Erik,

Thank you very much for your help :) I will write the companies for their offers and compare them. Com to think about it, it's probably better to ask the company for the full trip, so i wouldnt have to worry about the accomodation for a driver. But do you happen to know if these packeges are worth it? Or do they book you the cheapest hotel and you actually overpay?

cheers

M

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,586 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Acomodation for a driver?

Hi again,

What do you mean with 'these packages'? All names given above arrange tailormade trips, though of course they have templates for standard tours. And they should give you on request a full breakdown, with hotel names and prices; this allows you to compare with a do-it-yourself approach where you book the hotels yourself (with e.g. Agoda).

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Warsaw, Poland
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Acomodation for a driver?

Great! Thank you! I am writing to all of them to compare :)

Last question, are you currently in Sri Lanka? If yes, could you please tell me what the weather is like right now?

all the best

m.

5. Re: Acomodation for a driver?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 July 2014, 16:37
Edited: 06 July 2014, 16:37
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Acomodation for a driver?

Hi

Erik has suggested reputed high end companies and better to look for some medium scale companies as well.

Hi Erik

Correct me if I am wrong

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,586 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Acomodation for a driver?

Hi Kamil,

Of course there are many options. The reason I solely mention the high-ends and the freelancers is the sheer number - too many medium scale ones. And the high-ends do have a huge reputation to loose if something goes wrong hence generally are worth mentioning...

Tnx,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Panadura, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
589 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Acomodation for a driver?

Big and reliable names include Aitken Spence, Walker Tours, Jetwing Tours. All of them having their own fleet of vehicles and operate in huge scale. If you need any recommendations of freelancers, PM me, as I cannot publish in TA forums.

cheers

Tharindu

Negombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Acomodation for a driver?

It is now always good for looking high end travelling like Walker Tours, Jetwing Tours .etc..do more search for some medium level travelling options..

Edited: 07 July 2014, 08:08
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
714 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Acomodation for a driver?

Everyone talks abt medium range travel agents. What are the names of these agencies with good reputations? Would be good to list them so travellers like me can look them up and check.