We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Urgent.....Currency issue for Sri Lanka Visit.

Coimbatore, India
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Urgent.....Currency issue for Sri Lanka Visit.

I am travelling to Sri Lanka in a day or two from India.

I heard people say that Indian rupee is a closed currency and wont be accepted at srilanka.

Can i convert Indian rupee to srilankan rupee in India and take the same to Srilanka to meet my expenses.

Can i take srilankan rupee with me while travelling. Is there any limit for the srilankan rupee to be carried or something like that?

Plz let me know as soon as possible. Its very urgent.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,714 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Urgent.....Currency issue for Sri Lanka Visit.

Hi SRINI1910;

This forum, the “TripAdvisor Support” forum, is for general questions and assistance using the TripAdvisor site itself.

For questions about travelling to specific destinations, you can use the destination forums. The Sri Lanka forum is here on TA;

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g293961-i8983-Sri_L…

I would suggest posting your query on that forum.

Best Regards

Edited: 23 July 2014, 06:40
Bentota, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
522 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Urgent.....Currency issue for Sri Lanka Visit.

Hi There,

Only small amount of Sri Lankan rupees can be brought in to Sri Lanka, e; 5,000 hence no point exchanging your Indian rupees to SLR in India,

Bring your international credit/debit card you can withdraw as you go.

All the Best

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,546 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Urgent.....Currency issue for Sri Lanka Visit.

And you _can_ trade in your leftover INR in Lanka for SLR, at a decent rate (roughly 1 to 2), just not at the official banks hence also nowhere in the airport. You can trade them in at all licensed money changers, often jewelry stores in towns.

You can also check whether exchanging at a similar rate is possible in India. Both currencies are 'closed' hence exporting/importing above a small amount is forbidden but it's not enforced for the amounts you are carrying.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

4. Re: Urgent.....Currency issue for Sri Lanka Visit.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2015, 06:16