We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

...short stay in Sri Lanka..appreciate thoughts on itinerary

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
81 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
...short stay in Sri Lanka..appreciate thoughts on itinerary

Firstly let me thank everyone who sent me recommended driver details.

We have a short stay in Sri Lanka and would appreciate thoughts on this itinerary. Early 60's and not too fit...if any parts should be adjusted or omitted please feel free to comment...

Thurs 18/12. arrive refreshed from Trivandrum 10:45...airport pick-up and onto Polonnaruwa then Sigiriyra hotel o/n

Fri 19/12 Sigiriya to Dambulla then onwards Kandy hotel o/n

Sat 20/12 Kandy to Nuwara Eliya hotel o/n

Sun 21/12 Nuwara Eliya to Ella hotel o/n

Mon 22/12 Ella to Yala hotel o/n

Tues 23/12 Yala to Galle to Negombo hotel o/n

Wed 24/12 relax Negombo before onwards flight to Bangkok (01:40 on 25/12...)

Obviously the main tourist sights/attractions will be explored around and on way to these destinations. We intend to hire a driver guide so can add/omit as we go. Wish to experience a train journey also.

thanks in advance

Blue Lanka Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours
D.S Tours Day Tours
Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Sri Lanka Wide Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
57,490 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ...short stay in Sri Lanka..appreciate thoughts on itinerary

Hi there,

Packed, hardly justice to Kandy, but just doable. Suggest:

* Do Sigiriya rock climb on Fri morning, Thu you arrive too late for that

* Switch to 1 night Eliya and 2 nights Ella, Ella has much nicer climate and more to see

* Do train ride Eliya (Nanu Oya) to Ella

* Do Yala safari mon afternoon, as 23rd already is quite a packed day

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: ...short stay in Sri Lanka..appreciate thoughts on itinerary

You will not be able to visit Polonnaruwa on the very first day as it takes approximately 6 hours drive from the Airport. If you start your journey at 11:30am and have lunch en route, you will reach Polonnaruwa at about 6.30pm. At this time the site is closed. The entire journey involves too much of travelling and will be too hectic for you as you are in your 60's.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
57,490 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ...short stay in Sri Lanka..appreciate thoughts on itinerary

Yes missed that detail, sorry. Going P'ruwa is useless that day and also next day no time for it, it requires 3-4 hours to see the museum area properly and from airport to Dambulla already is 4.30 hours. So only way to keep the sights list is to shorten in Eliya-Ella days and add one day in Triangle.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
81 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ...short stay in Sri Lanka..appreciate thoughts on itinerary

OK thanks so far..

So I really want to keep in Ella o/n and travel onwards to Yala for afternoon safari on 22/12 and o/n.

Then from Yala to Negombo via Galle sight seeing and turtle hatchery, perhaps coral reef...

Given travel and time involved I opted to spend a night and following day in Negombo.

With that in mind, how best to divide my days from airport pick-up on 18/12 at say 11:30? I can skip things like spice, gardens, gem factories etc...

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ...short stay in Sri Lanka..appreciate thoughts on itinerary

Spice gardens and gem factories are mainly tourist rip offs.

Hans

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
57,490 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ...short stay in Sri Lanka..appreciate thoughts on itinerary

Okay you had 1 night Eliya and 1 night Ella, Eliya will have to go I'm afraid. It then becomes

Thurs 18/12. arrive refreshed from Trivandrum 10:45...airport pick-up to Sigiriya hotel o/n

Fri 19/12 Sigiriya in morning, P'ruwa in afternoon. Again stay Sigiriya.

Sat 20/12 to Dambulla then onwards Kandy hotel o/n

Sun 21/12 Kandy to Ella hotel o/n. Car to Nanu Oya and train from there to Ella

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
81 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ...short stay in Sri Lanka..appreciate thoughts on itinerary

Thanks Erik.

That sounds good. I expect countryside attractions in Ella just as beautiful as Nuwara Eliya...

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: ...short stay in Sri Lanka..appreciate thoughts on itinerary

Yes. What Erik has suggested is the most suitable itinerary for you. I am sure you will like Ella as much as Nuwara Eliya.

9. Re: ...short stay in Sri Lanka..appreciate thoughts on itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2015, 06:16