We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go

Sulaymaniyah, Iraq
Level Contributor
18 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go

Hello,

We are 2 families 5 Adults and 4 Kids (4,6,8,9) years. We are thinking to visit Sri Lanka for about 8-10 days. I tried to check where to go through internet but still I dont which activity and places suitable for family. I have several questions:

1. When is the best time to visit Sri Lanka we (August, September or October)?

2. Do you think that it will be better visit places by our selves or it is better to book a trip with some agencies?

3. What cities is best to be visited through our 8-10 days visit? which beach is better, we like soft sandy beaches?

Thanks for your help

Panadura, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
589 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go

1. Out of those 3 months, August would be better

2. You can visit the places by yourself. Since it's a large group it would be better to book a private Van for the purpose. You can either go for a large tour operator like Aitken Spence, Walkers or try out some of the recommended drivers. PM me if more details are needed.

3. Beaches in East Sri Lanka would be best in that part of year. Pasihudah, Arugam Bay, Trincomalee, etc

Also you can visit ancient places like Anuradhapura, Dambulla and Sigiriya and you can include Kandy as well.

cheers

Tharindu

2. Re: Where to go

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 July 2014, 09:05
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go

Salam

Please make sure to cover Cultural triangle (Sigiriya), Hill Country (Kandy & Nuwara Eliya) and Benthota for beaches.

Have a great memorable trip

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go

The beach at Bentota is not safe for swimming in August to October. The reef protected part of the beach at Hikkaduwa is a better option.

Hans

Negombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
15 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go

A safari in Minneriya park is a must with the children. To see so many elephants from so close is a wonderful experience!! The trip by train from Nuwera Eliya to Ella is amazingly beautiful!!

Enjoy your holiday in this magnificent island!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go

September will have the lowest rates from the 3 months you have stated. I would suggest you hire a van for the entire duration as public transport isn't all that great and you have kids. The weather is always changing so it's hard to predict that. As for beaches white sandy ones are all in trincomalee.

7. Re: Where to go

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2015, 05:16