We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help planning a trip with a 2 yr old!

London, United...
13 posts
Save Topic
Help planning a trip with a 2 yr old!

Hi,

Apologies for the long message but I am having trouble arranging an itinerary for a trip to Sri Lanka. I will be travelling to Sri Lanka I late December for 15 nights with my husband and daughter, who will turn 3 while we are there, for my friends wedding in Colombo. The wedding is the next day so after that we intend to see other sights, but not too much as travelling with a small child/long excursions will be difficult. We intended to spend the first half of the holiday at mount Lavinia in Colombo and then travel to lavagna resort in hikaduwa for the rest, and then from here do excursions e.g yala, whale watching etc but I have been told this is not a good idea. Can anybody recommend places to visit/stay etc considering we have a small child. or suggest an itinerary. As adults our interest are beach life, animals and history (Sri Lanka is perfect for this) my daughter loves animals and the beach also.

Also I have read the beaches in Sri Lanka are not suitable for swimming. Are there any which are suitable for paddling with a small child?

The people who are getting married are arranging a trip to the elephant orphanage for all of us and have also hired a beach villa in galle.

The pieces I had planned visiting we Colombo, kandy, yala, tangelle, hikaduwa and galle but I don't know I'd I need to stay at all these places or whether they are worth going to at all

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,653 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help planning a trip with a 2 yr old!

Hi there,

Late dec the southwest beaches SHOULD be suitable for swimming, and if sea is rough you can always visit the few reef protected places. See

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293961-c122197/Sri-L…

for what can be done as day trip. From your list solely Yala would be off (Kandy can be done from Mount Lavinia though the route has 90% overlap with Pinawela). Tell us whether you need other places like Ella, Nuwara Eliya, Sigiriya - nice for adults but maybe too tiring travel for the little one. If you want the people here can make a route for you with max 4-5 hours travel per day.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Bentota, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
522 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help planning a trip with a 2 yr old!

Hi There,

If you have two weeks there, I would consider doing Yala from Hikkaduwa with overnight stay in Tissa, its about 4-5 hrs. drive.

Regards

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help planning a trip with a 2 yr old!

Im not sure if the locations you have chosen are the best in terms of what you want to do. Here are my suggestions for locations (providing you have not already confirmed)

Beach - I would avoid Hikkaduwa as the waves are really strong and not suitable for kids. Maybe a location like Bentota or Beruwela will have a better surf for kids.

History - You need to get up into the country around Sigiriya for this and you can also do a wildlife park from here like Minneriya.

You should try to minimize your traveling as the roads are not all that great and take time to get to locations.

Whale watching not recommended at all with a child.

4. Re: Help planning a trip with a 2 yr old!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2015, 05:16