We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need suggestions on our 10 days itenary

Bangalore
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Need suggestions on our 10 days itenary

Hi all,

My wife and I would like to travel to Sri Lanka this December. My wife is an architect and a visit to works of Geoffrey Bawa is big on our itinerary. Below is our schedule.

Our Srilanka Itinerary is as follows

Day 1:

Arrive in Colombo at 5am on 20th December

Head towards Anuradhapura ( should we drive or go by train ? Please advise . If drive , can we self drive ? )

Finish Anuradhapura and night halt at Dambulla

Stay at Amaya / thilanka Resort and Spa ( which is better ? )

Day 2:

Sigiriya

Ponnuluwara

Heritance Kandalama visit to see Bawa's architecture. Probably dinner at Heritance Kandalama.

Night halt at Dambulla

Stay at Amaya /Thilanka Resort and Spa

Day 3:

Head towards kandy.

See Dambulla caves.

En route see Pollunuwara elephant orphanage

Night halt at Kandy.

( here we are thinking of kandy cottage )

Day 4

Temple of tooth

Shopping / relaxed day

Night halt at kandy

Day 5

Kandy to Bentota ( drive or train )

~ Avani Bentota

~ Bentota beach hotel

~ villa bentota

~ Club Villa

- Night stay at Riverside Inn Fuji Bentota

Day 5:

Day trip from Bentota to Galle

Stop at Lighthouse Ahungalle enroute

Triton Ahungalle

A S H de Silva house in Galle

Galle fort

Last house by architect Geoffrey Bawa at Tangalle is 1.5 hours from Galle. Do it the same day? Add one more day?

Day 6:

~ Brief Garden

~ Turtle hatchery project

Chill day by the beach , any suggestions for which beach ?

Day 7:

Bentota to Colombo

~ Blue Water at Waduwwa (30 minutes from Bentota)

~ de Soysa House

~ Jayakoddy house

~ Bawa office and house

~ Parliament

Day 8:

Colombo

~ Lunuganga

-flight back in the evening

Doss this schedule look too hectic . Would we need a driver during the Bentota to Galle leg ?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need suggestions on our 10 days itenary

I would suggest you stay at the Kandalama hotel if yuo can afford to and then do Anuradhapura, Polonnaruwa, Sigirya and also a safari in Minneriya from here. If not Dambulla can be a good base and the Amaya Lak is a nice place. From here you can head to Kandy visiting the dambulla temple and and do the temple of the tooth in Kandy and a cultural show in the evening. Next head to Bentota and visit Pinnawela elephant orphanage and stay Avani Bentota as this a GB hotel as well. Make Bentota your base and do everything as a day trip from here. You can finally stay a night in Colombo and visit the places of interest.

I would suggest you hire a car and driver to enable you to get the most of your trip.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need suggestions on our 10 days itenary

Lunuganga is the JB House which is 15minute journey from Bentota. 03 night at kadalam hotel would be great which is 10km from Dambulla.two night in Kandy one night Galle Two night at Bentota one night in Colombo would be the best way to cover your dream tour with comfortable way.led than one hour more from Kandy to Galle than bentota or not.(you can use high way up to Galle)

Hotels you have mention is good.Hotels kandalama, Amaya hills Kandy, Light house Galle, Bentota beach bentota, Mount Lavinia in Colombo (10km to Colombo)

You better enjoy seen the beauty of the Sri Lanka without self Driving.( I drive more than 13years as chauffeur Guide my own car)

Anuradhapura, sigiriya, polonnaruwa, dambulla cave ,pinnawala , and the rest you mention with you tour itinerary is good.

All the best.

3. Re: Need suggestions on our 10 days itenary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2014, 00:05
Victoria, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Need suggestions on our 10 days itenary

Try to see the works of Architect Valentine Gunasekara if possible - IMHO way ahead of his time and certainly ahead of over-rated Bawa......

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentine_gunasekara

5. Re: Need suggestions on our 10 days itenary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2015, 05:16