We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sri Lanka in 29 days

Level Contributor
40 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Sri Lanka in 29 days

Hello travelers!

I'm going to Sri Lanka very soon! I'm arriving on the 10th of august and I'm coming back on the 7h of september.

I would like to have some advice from an expert about my itinerary. I anticipate that I travel by bus or train mainly, and I could take a driver only for 2/3 days maximum and only in case of complicated journey by bus or train. I love nature, seaside and snorkeling and also ancient temples or ruins. For the first 17 days I'm staying with my boyfriend and the last 12 days I'm going to continue alone, this only to explain that I had to adapt our itinerary also for him so that he can see the main interesting places.

10 aug. Bandalarake int. airport --> Kandy (Esala Perahera)

11 aug --> Kandy (Esala last night)

12 aug --> go to Dambulla and visit Dambulla (from Kandy about 2h)

13 aug --> Sigirya. during the morning and in the afternoon Minneriya national park to see elephants' gathering.

14 aug --> Polonnaruwa and visit to the ruins

1st question: is it better going to Polonnaruwa from Dambulla or Sigirya? and is it better visiting Sigirya and Minneriya from Dambulla and on the 13 august night staying there to sleep?

15 aug --> from Polonnaruwa to Trincomalee

2nd question: is it possible traveling from Pollonnaruwa to trincomalee by bus or train? How long is the journey?

15, 16, 17, 18 stay in Trincomalee, Uppuveli, Nilaveli, Pigeon Island: snorkeling and sea

19 aug --> from Trincomalee to Pasikuda --> 3rd question is it possible by public transports? How much it takes?)

20 aug --> stay in Pasikuda

21 aug --> from Pasikuda to Nuwara Eliya --> 4th question: is it possibile by public transports? How long is the journey? and what about going By private car with dirver? Is it expensive? is it faster?

22 aug --> from Nuwara Eliya to Ella by train. visit Ella and tea plants.

23 aug --> from Ella to Tissamarama (5th question: the same, is it possibile and how long is by public transports?)

24 aug --> Yala nat park

25 aug --> from Tissamarama to Tangalla (6th question: it's about 2h, isn't it?)

26 aug --> from Tangalla to Mirissa (7th question: it's about 2h so then we have the time to stay in mirissa and relax)

27 aug --> my boyfriend leaves and goes to the airpor form Mirissa. I'm going to Galle, I'm visiting the fort and then I go to Deniyaya)

28 aug --> from Deniyaya to Sinharaja Rain Forest and visit the forest

29 aug --> from Deniyaya to Unawatuna and stay in Unawatuna

30 aug --> Hikkaduwa

8th question: How is the weather in the south-west coast? Is it possible snorkeling? it's sunny?

31 aug --> Colombo

1 sept --> Colombo

2 sept --> from Colombo to Kalpittiya (9th question: how is the weather here in the north? is it nice this place? is it possible and how long it takes by public transports?)

3, 4 sept --> stay in Kalpittiya and Alankuda

5 sept --> Wilpattu national park from Puttalam

6 sept --> go to Negombo

7--> Negombo and come back

What do you think it's a good itinerary? or I could change something? I didn't include Jaffna and the North because maybe it's too far and some people said me it's not so interesting...

if you can help me, thank you in advance :)

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sri Lanka in 29 days

hi

itinerary look good.dambulla and sigiriya close to each other 24km.you better go after minneriya national park to polonnaruwa same day which is close and easy.polonnaruwa to trinco 113km 02 1/2h to 03 1/2h by bus may be.pasikudha to nuwara eliya 203km which is about 03-04h by car but im not sure by bus. there's no train.this day you better use a car. you must go to nanu-oya railway station from nuwara eliy (12km) to catch the train to ella.ella to tissamaharama 0nly 90km which is easy by bus.03 to 04h may be.06) & 07) yes.this is can.south west cost will be rough but it sunny.trinco could be the best place to snorkeling and pigeon island ideal.colombo to kalpitiya 160km 03h to03 1/2h by car.it is possible to use public transport.nice place but whether similar to hikkaduwa which is rough.

this is a good itinerary.jaffna interesting place and different place to others.but this is far.

public transport are not very comfortable anyway but it is nice experience per sure.not punctual.killing time.bus and train same. noisy and busy.very cheap but very hot.

all the best.

Level Contributor
40 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sri Lanka in 29 days

tanks Upu 564,

if somebody give me some other advice or suggestions it will be great!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,589 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sri Lanka in 29 days

Hi there,

Maybe useful if you repeat the remaining questions, as Upul already answered the majority and you had quite a packed post. One I see is snorkel: nope impossible on southwest. The rough sea outside the reefs makes visibility at and inside them almost zero, too much stirred up sand.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Level Contributor
40 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sri Lanka in 29 days

thanks Erik,

for snorkeling in south west ok, I understood. Anyway is it possible go to the beach? and what about snorkeling on north west (Kalpittiya and Alankuda)?

In your opinion I would like to see and to do too much or my program is ok, in general?

some people suggested me to do: Kandy-- >Matara/Mirissa-->Tissamarama->Yala->Ella->Nuwara Elliya--> Dambulla-> Sygiryia->Mynneriya->Polonnaruwa->Pasiduka--> Trincomalee+ Uppuveli Nilaveli Pigeon Island and then Anuradhapura/wilpattu and north west coast, then Colobmo, Negombo and Rainforest...

I throw over this idea because it seems that the journeys from one place to another take too much time. for example from Kandy to Mirissa and also from Nuwara Elliya to Dambulla.. what do you thik about this?

thanks another time :)

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,589 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sri Lanka in 29 days

Hi again,

Nortwest same as southwest, sea too rough for snorkel.

Strange alternate route, Kandy must be in some inland route and not as a special starting point. It's on the way between Eliya and Dambulla!

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Level Contributor
40 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sri Lanka in 29 days

ok I hope that with my solution I'll be able to save time and visit enough places.

a lot of thanks!

Federica

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
11,374 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sri Lanka in 29 days

Ciao Fede,

Kalpitiya: total waste of time to go there now, the only place for good beaches and snorkeling now is the east coast, i was there the whole of last week, and snorkeling in Pigeon Island was amazing.

With public transport the best way to tour in this season is : Colombo - Galle/Mirissa - Yala - Ella - Nuwara Eliya - Kandy - Cultural triangle - East coast - Anuradhapura - Colombo. This is the best way because you don't spend more than 4-5 hours max on public transport and you avoid a lot of zig-zag. (Have done it often and highly reccomend it :)

Kandy-to Matara was suggested in order to see the Perahera first, and start the tour from the south anyways, and avoid spending entire days changing buses.

As i mentioned in the italian forum, its one thing to move around in a private vehicle, its another thing to do everything by public transport. There is a still a few things in your itinerary that are really complicated/time consuming with public transport, but lets wait and hear some other opinions as well.

Greetings from Mirissa :)

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sri Lanka in 29 days

hi again

kandy-colombo-(bentota)-mirissa-yala-ella-nuwaraeliya-dambulla(150km)-sigiriya-minneriya-pasikudha-trinco-(nilawali 12km to trinko 1/2h and pigeon island too very closeby)-anuradapura-wilpattu(55km from anuradapura)-negombo-(kitulgala)-sinharaja-back to colombo or negombo. just an idea.

all the best

9. Re: Sri Lanka in 29 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 August 2014, 14:19
Level Contributor
40 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sri Lanka in 29 days

a lot of thanks to everybody who try to help me :)

at the end, I opted for the following itinerary:

Kandy-->with a dirver to Mirissa+Galle --> Tissamarama-->Yala-->Ella(stop with the driver and we continue by public transport)-->Nuwara Eliya-->Dambulla-->Sigiriya+Minneriya-->Polonnaruwa--> Pasiduka--> Trincomalee. the 27th of august from Trinco to Anuradhapura and visit the ruins-> 28th of august Wilpattu-->29th of august from Anura to Alankuda--> 31th of august: Colombo from Alankuda --> 2nd of september from Colombo to Hikkaduwa-->3rd of september from Hikkaduwa to Deniyaya--> 4th of september Rain forest -->5th of september Unawatuna-->6th of september Negombo.

I can do that or I'll waste to much time to move from Anuradhapura to Alankuda and from Alankuda to Colombo?

is it better if I exclude Alankuda from my itinerary?

thanks in advance :)