We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help to perfect itinerary

London, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Help to perfect itinerary

Hello,

I'm travelling to Sri Lanka in September with my husband. We've got an itinerary that we're pretty happy with but unsure about the last few days as it involves a lot of travelling about (with car and driver). This is what we've got planned at the moment:

Habarana (3 nights)

Kandy (1 night)

Nuwara Eliya (1 night)

Ella (1 night)

Arugam Bay (3 nights)

Yala (2 nights)

Uda Walawe (1 night)

Sinharaja (1 night)

Bentota (1 night)

Negombo (1 night)

Although we want to see a lot of stuff, we were also hoping to have a nice relaxing time, so wondered if there's a better way to spend the last 4 nights on the route back to Negombo? (we've booked the earlier dates and can't change them).

We're interested in nature but want to avoid too much driving if possible. Any tips for improving the itinerary would be much appreciated!

Also, we'd love to do some rail journeys - is it worth taking the train from both Kandy to NE and NE to Ella, or just one of those journeys?

Thanks

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,224 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help to perfect itinerary

Hi there,

Well you do have some R&R time at Arugam, and that has more sun than Bentota in September. (Bentota is still okay, clouds-rain start 3-4 PM generally). Route is okay, train NE-Ella is more beautiful than Kandy-NE. Problem in the model is that the driver has a minimum daily mileage of 100-150 km, and that might hurt a bit due to the Arugam stay in the midst; general advice for car-driver is to plan beach stays at start or end and then have one-way transfers or train rides to/from that place.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help to perfect itinerary

Yala National Park is closed the whole month of September.

Hans

London, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help to perfect itinerary

Thanks Erik

I didn't realise there was a minimum daily mileage, that will explain why our driver is trying to talk us out if the stay in Arugam Bay and doing the train rides. We have agreed a price for his services for the overall holiday though, so will it impact him?

Unfortunately Arugam Bay was the first thing we booked and we can't get our money back now if we change it.

Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help to perfect itinerary

Thanks Hans

I'd heard that Yala may be closed but good to know for sure. We're staying in the Cinnamon Wild Yala. I was unsure about doing the main Yala park anyway because of the crowds, and was interested in doing Bundala and the smaller Yala park (is it Yala East?) Do you know if they will be open?

If we were to miss out Sinharaja and head to Colombo from Yala, what would be the most direct route and would there be any nice places to stay for a couple of nights relaxation en route?

Thanks

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,224 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help to perfect itinerary

Yala East (Kumana) is likely also closed, but unaccessible from Cinnamon Wild. It's 1 hour from Arugam. Bundala is closeby enough yes. For the others:

* Well the minimum daily mlieage he must already have discounted in his overall price

* I'm afraid the most direct route to Colombo is Embilipitiya-Ratnapura which is relatively boring. You can stay 1 night in Embilipitiya and then do a Udu Walawe halfday safari, in our feeling at least as good as Yala - but it was in your original itin, not clear if you planned to drop it together with Sinharaja. If it's more about relaxation the coastal route is better, with e.g. Mirissa or Unuwatuna for resting and e.g. Galle for sightsee

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Edited: 06 August 2014, 08:36
London, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help to perfect itinerary

Thanks again Erik

We had planned to stay at the South side of Sinharaja but I wonder then if it would be best to do Uda Walawe for one night as planned, then two nights near Ratnapura for Sinharaja before a night in Negbombo. Just so we can have two night somewhere rather than being on the move every day. What do you think?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,224 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help to perfect itinerary

Hi again,

Yes 2 nights near Sinharaja makes more sense than 2 nights near UW, as Sinharaja walks are roughly 8 AM - 1 PM hence long enough to justify a 2nd night.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

London, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help to perfect itinerary

Great, thanks again

9. Re: Help to perfect itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2015, 06:16