We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In what order should I visit these places?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
In what order should I visit these places?

Hey all,

I am planning my trip and im a bit confused as for what is the best place to go right after Colombo. Should I travel to Kandy and then do the Cultural Triangle? Ive been also reading that the views from Colombo to Kandy on the train are spectacular, but is that also the case if I hire a driver and we take the road? Finally, what is the best place to stay in while visting the cultural triangle? Is there a midpoint in order not to travel too long to get to each one? Should they be done in any particular order?

Lots of questions indeed! Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

John

Panadura, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
589 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In what order should I visit these places?

I would say the view would be better on train than the road.

You can do Kandy via Train first and take bus to Dambulla and base there for cultural triangle.

cheers

Tharindu

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
214 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In what order should I visit these places?

best to go to Kandy from Colombo and then to Cultural triangle (CT).

drive to Kandy is also quite nice. takes same time as the train and you can also have a stopover at elephants orphanage at Pinnawala. But no direct trains from kandy to CT.

it is difficult to stay in one "central" place and cover the CT. travel time is too much. best thing is to stay on location. There are three main areas in CT you have to cover - Anuradhapura, Polonnaruwa & Sigiriya.

Sigiriya is closer to dambulla, which is on the Kandy - anuradhapura road. if you start from Kandy early morning, you can visit Sigiriya & Dambulla rock temple on your way and go to Anuradhapura for night stay. OR if you have ample time, you can stay in dambulla. Heritance Kandalama is a nice place to stay.

from dambulla, anuradhapura and polonnaruwa are at almost the same distance, but in two directions. you can go in whatever order you like and go back to colombo straightaway.

if you are train lover , take the train from Anuradhapura to colombo - not as nice as Colombo -Kandy, but for the experience !

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In what order should I visit these places?

Depends on where you go afterwards.

Hans

Bentota, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
522 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In what order should I visit these places?

Hi

Most people stay Habarana as centre point to visit Cultural Triangle,

If you are not heading to South coast , then yes you could do Colombo > Kandy> Habarana> then to either East cost or back to Airport.

All the Best

Level Contributor
325 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In what order should I visit these places?

Its better to take colombo>Kandy>cultural triangle and then back to colombo.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: In what order should I visit these places?

Thank you all for the helpful replies! After the cultural triangle I'll probably head south and then make my way East before I head back to Colombo. Not sure what's the best way to go about it.. I basically wanna see the CT, the South and the East.

Bentota, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
522 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: In what order should I visit these places?

Hi There,

You will have to do lots of backing tracking to cover that way, Cultural triangle close to East cost hence no point doing cultural triangle and then to South coast if you are wishing to continue to east cost.

You should have start from south and then make your way to Cultural triangle before heading to east coast then return to Airport .

All the best

Level Contributor
325 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: In what order should I visit these places?

start from South>>>Cultutal Triangle>>East coast>>Colombo.

All the best.

9. Re: In what order should I visit these places?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2015, 06:16