We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a Honeymoon in Sri Lanka in Jan 2015

Mumbai (Bombay...
9 posts
Save Topic
Planning a Honeymoon in Sri Lanka in Jan 2015

Dear All:

My name is Sagar Chitale, from Mumbai, India.

I am planning to go for a Honeymoon to Sri Lanka in Jan 2015 for say 9 Nights/10 Days.

Now after digging deep into all the forums, and Lonely Planet and what not I guess I have got some idea what do I want to do...I really need an opinion from you all about my Itinerary.

Now ideally I would like to spend my 10 days with a bit of north and bit of south.. So this is how it goes.

Day1: From airport I go to Dambulla. Keep Dambulla as my base may be for 2 days

Day2: Will visit to Sigirya and Polonnaruwa as a day trip

Day3: Will travel to Kandy and will stay there overnight

Day4: Sightseeing in Kandy

Day5: Travel to Nuwara Eliya stay there overnight

Day6: travel to Horton Plains national park the same day depart for Galle/Mirassa/Unawatua( this is where my confusion is.like all three are pretty much close to each other so wondering which place to keep as a base?

Day7/8 enjoy the beaches

Day9 travel to Colombo/Negombo

Day10: travel back to Mumbai.

Now does this really sound bit cramped up? and of course keeping in mind the distances and the time it might take, will we be rushed into things?

Now I believe this itinerary will involve a lot of travelling so what am I looking here? like in reference to the travelling expenses?

Well other plan which I was making just 7 nights/8days trip only to south and enjoy the beaches.

As simple as Negombo--Hikkaduwa--Galle--Unnawatuna--Mirissa

this sounds kind of a hassle free trip.. I would really appreciate if I can get good comments and alterations in the plan if necessary.

Thanks..

Level Contributor
325 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a Honeymoon in Sri Lanka in Jan 2015

Others are ok.

Day 6. Unawatuna or hikkaduwa is good.

Rather than spending the whole holiday around beaches, your first plan is good.

Any advice need on travelling?

Edited: 19 August 2014, 17:44
Mumbai (Bombay...
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a Honeymoon in Sri Lanka in Jan 2015

@ Ryan: Certainly man!! Would just appreciate.. I am any way wondering about the whole travelling aspect.

Level Contributor
325 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a Honeymoon in Sri Lanka in Jan 2015

Since its honeymoon thing try to spend more than one day in nuwara eliya.

there is a nice hotel called Hunnas falls by amaya, for honeymooners in kandy. Try atleast 2 days ther.:-)

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a Honeymoon in Sri Lanka in Jan 2015

I would stay in Mirissa.

Renting a car with driver is good for the transport. That should cost you approx. USD 60 per day.

Hunas Falls is approx. 30 mins drive outside Kandy.

Hans

Edited: 19 August 2014, 17:52
Level Contributor
325 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a Honeymoon in Sri Lanka in Jan 2015

Best thing would be driver and a car.

Usually for one way trips rates start at sri lankan Rs 60 to 74.

For round trips it starts from Rs 42 to Rs 45. But there is always a minimum daily milage of 150kms.

If took a car daily will cost around Rs 6500 per day100kms day(includes car,fuel,driver) and drivers accomadation would cost Rs 1700 per day unless hotels doesnt provide. Fortunately most hotels provide drivers accomadation free of charge. Cheers

Mumbai (Bombay...
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a Honeymoon in Sri Lanka in Jan 2015

@Ryan: So instead of going to Dambulla and the Cultural triangle which will take like 2 days from me, should I directly go to Kandy from the airport and then spend like full 2 days there? and then 2 days in Nuwara Eliya?

Like I'll be honest I am still bit skeptical about the whole cultural triangle, I mean the temples and the cultural places I don't know I mean I can always pass them... like being an Indian we always get to see it. And specially it's my honeymoon so if spending 2 days in Kandy and 2 days in Eliya helps then great..

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning a Honeymoon in Sri Lanka in Jan 2015

Ella has a much friendlier climate than Nuwara Eliya.

Hans

Mumbai (Bombay...
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning a Honeymoon in Sri Lanka in Jan 2015

@ Hans, @ Ryan: alright so getting a driver and a car doesn't sound too expensive, where would be my best options to get a reliable driver with a car? like should I just ask the hotel guys or some private companies?

Sagar...

Level Contributor
325 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning a Honeymoon in Sri Lanka in Jan 2015

Yaar,

I was thinking the same.skip this cultural triangle think because this is your honeymoon.

As you said it will be really good to spend 2 nights in kandy and another 2 nights in Nuwara Eliya.

Level Contributor
325 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning a Honeymoon in Sri Lanka in Jan 2015

Yes,you can book through hotels too. But the rate will be a bit higher.

Or else there are plenty of freelancers and small companies where you can get a reasonable rate and whom you can count on

Edited: 19 August 2014, 18:04