We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train services from Bandaranaike Airport to Colombo Fort?

Rimini, Italy
Level Contributor
51 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Train services from Bandaranaike Airport to Colombo Fort?

Hi everybody! I read on a few websites that there is a train service from Bandaranaike Airport to Colombo Fort but I cannot find any detailed information about this!! on the airport website there is written that 'there is a station less than 1 kilometre away, which can be used to get to the Colombo train station and beyond' but no name of the station and no timetable. If iI go on the official railway website I find that there is a katunayaka airport station but it gives me not even one train to colombo fort . Is this train really existing or apart from taxis the bus is the only alternative I have?? and if it does exist can you please tell me how to reach the airport station ??

Bentota, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
522 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train services from Bandaranaike Airport to Colombo Fort?

Hi there,

There is no trains from Airport to Colombo, nearest station to Airport is Negambo station.

Regards

Rimini, Italy
Level Contributor
51 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train services from Bandaranaike Airport to Colombo Fort?

Thanks Bentota! This means that we will take the bus.. Hope it will not take too much to arrive to the city centre..

Bentota, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
522 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train services from Bandaranaike Airport to Colombo Fort?

Hi,

I'd take Tuk Tuk from Airport to station 15 minutes ride cost approximately LKR 500 ( 3-4 Euro) unless otherwise bus from katunayake Bus stand to Colombo,

Free ride from Airport to Katunayake Bus stand.

All the best

Level Contributor
325 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train services from Bandaranaike Airport to Colombo Fort?

There are no direct trains for airport to colombo. If not a taxi then it would be the bus.

In a bus it will take like 2 hours.

For a taxi it will cost around Rs 3000.00

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,174 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train services from Bandaranaike Airport to Colombo Fort?

Yes airport site is outdated. Closest station is not Negombo but Katunayake Junction but that's 3 km from airport, and Colombo-bound trains stopping there generally are already packed at that point hence no chance of boarding with your Luggage. Hence advice stands, bus or cab.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Rimini, Italy
Level Contributor
51 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train services from Bandaranaike Airport to Colombo Fort?

You are all very helpful and you make everything much easier..

Just another question: we will arrive at night time and on the following day we want to have a short visit of Colombo in the morning and in the afternoon we would like to take a Bus to Dambulla and then a yuk yuk to Sigiriya where we have our hotel. Is there a direct bus to Dambulla?? In order to arrive in Sigiriya for sunset at what time do we have to leave Colombo?

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train services from Bandaranaike Airport to Colombo Fort?

Yes, there are direct buses from Colombo to Dambulla. Count on approx. 5 hours travelling time.

Hans

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,174 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train services from Bandaranaike Airport to Colombo Fort?

And there's also a 2 x per hour bus service Dambulla-Sigiriya taking 45 mins, so if you arrive Dambulla before around 6 PM no need to use a tuktuk.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Rimini, Italy
Level Contributor
51 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train services from Bandaranaike Airport to Colombo Fort?

Thanks Erik and Hans!! I really appreciate your help!!

10. Re: Train services from Bandaranaike Airport to Colombo Fort?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2015, 05:15