We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 night Itinerary - suggestions please if it is O.K.

Portoroz, Slovenia
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
10 night Itinerary - suggestions please if it is O.K.

Hello,

Me, my husband and our two daughters 18 and 13 years, are visiting Sri Lanka from 30. Oct to 9 nov. We stay 10 nights and I made my own itinerary, I just want some suggestions if it is O.K. or do we have to change something.

We are arriving to Colombo airport on 30.oct at 04.55 am and want to go straith to Anuradhapura by train – to save time we’ve planned to go to Gampaha station and try to catch the train at 06.20 am (maybe too optimistic?), or wait the next one at 01.50 pm. (arriving in the evening)

30.10. – 01.11. 2 Nights in Anuradhapura (see the ancient city, Mihintale)

On 01.11. Bus to Dambulla stay 2 nights – see Dambulla Rock Temple, Sigiriya, what else?

03.11. Bus from Dambulla to Kandy (1 night) – city tour, dance show, tea factory museum

04.11. train to Nouwara Eliya, stay 2 nights, see one of the tea plantations (suggestions), Horton Plains? maybe do the water rafting?

06.11. taxi from Nouwara Eliya to Katagarama, passing Ella and Rawana falls, 1 night in Katagarama to see the evening puja, we are not going to do the safari, we’ve been to Kenya on a safari.

07.11. – 9.11. Mirissa 2 nights on the coast – suggestions what to do in case of bad weather

09.11. in the afternoon train Galle to Colombo Fort and then taxi to the airport – we have an evening flight at 09:55pm. What time should we leave Galle to come on time to the airport?

Girls also want to ride an elephant – where is this possible, except from the Orphanage we are not going to visit, because it’s too touristy.

Thank you

Tanja

3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 night Itinerary - suggestions please if it is O.K.

Hello Tanja,

I've just come back from Sri Lanka 10 days ago. So I guess I can answer some of your questions.

In the Sigiriya area, there are many things to do. You could go to Ritigala, which is worth the visit. Besides, if you are going with kids you could do the village safari that you can hire in Habarana in Akila tours. It is very interesting, as you go on a boat to an old village, see the plantations, etc. In this area (Habarana), you can also ride an elephant.

As regards the tea plantation, I went to the Bluefield Tea plantation, which is quite impressive, though the tour was done in a hurry, as there were many tourists. Nevertheless, the tea was excellent.

I stayed in Tangalle and it rained a bit in the morning, but then in the afternoon it was warm and sunny again. If it rains, you can visit Matara, Dondra and its lighthouse, the Blowhole, Dickwella temple, Mulkirigala (which is really worth seeing) or Koggala Lagoon.

Best,

Bárbara

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 night Itinerary - suggestions please if it is O.K.

It's likely too optimistic to get the 6.20 am train from Gampaha.

White water rafting is in Kitulgala - approx. 2 hours drive from Nuwara Eliya.

You should leave Galle approx. 4.5 hours before flight departure.

You can ride elephants in Sigiriya and Habarana.

Hans

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 night Itinerary - suggestions please if it is O.K.

riding elephants is touristy!

Portoroz, Slovenia
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 night Itinerary - suggestions please if it is O.K.

Thanks a lot Barbara I will definitely consider your suggestions.

Tanja

Portoroz, Slovenia
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 night Itinerary - suggestions please if it is O.K.

Hy Jayda

I know riding elephants is touristy, but the kids want to do it. It seems we cannot skip it.

Tanja

Portoroz, Slovenia
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 night Itinerary - suggestions please if it is O.K.

Thank you Hans,

Do you suggest we go to Colombo Fort instead, eat something there and take the 1pm Train to Anuradhapura?

If Kitulgala is too far away from Nuwara Eliya, what do you suggest ? Horton Plains - is it worth visiting or is better to stay 2 nights in Kandy and go to rafting (1,5h away) and stay 1 night in NE? I have not decised yet and I would apreciate suggestions.

Thank you for your help

Tanja

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,729 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 night Itinerary - suggestions please if it is O.K.

Yes in Fort is much more to see and do than in Gampaha, and moreover more chance of getting a train seat from there.

Rafting starts 10-11 AM hence if you're willing Eliya early enough it can be done. HP needs entering 7 AM in order to have good chances for vistas after 90 minutes walk, 'worth it' really depends on taste.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Portoroz, Slovenia
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 10 night Itinerary - suggestions please if it is O.K.

O.K. thank you Erik,

We will reconsider the rafting.

9. Re: 10 night Itinerary - suggestions please if it is O.K.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2015, 05:16