We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CMB+Galle+Kandy+Nuwara Eliya?+Polonnaruwa?+Anuradhapura?+CMB

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
25 posts
234 reviews
Save Topic
CMB+Galle+Kandy+Nuwara Eliya?+Polonnaruwa?+Anuradhapura?+CMB

I plan to spend around 2 1/2 weeks in Sri Lanka in October and have accoms booked in Colombo on arrival and for the last night. What's a reasonable itinerary and where does Adam's Peak fit into an itinerary?

For Example:

1) Colombo to Galle to Kandy to Nuwara Eliya(?) &/or Polonnaruwa(?) or Anuradhapura(?) & back to Colombo

2) Galle to Kandy &/or Nuwara Eliya? Do I need to double back to Colombo or is it possible to go direct? Galle really interests me....

3) Nuwara Eliya? Looks pretty BUT I don't see reasonably priced accoms/guest houses there on Agoda etc.

4) Adam's Peak? Where does that fit in and do I need to stay below it in order to climb it? Note: I have a second question posted in the forum about organized tours to see it from places like Kandy.

5) Polonnaruwa and Anuradhapura? Both sound interesting (I've seen ALOT of similar stuff in SE Asia though) but are they easy to get to from Kandy?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
4,783 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: CMB+Galle+Kandy+Nuwara Eliya?+Polonnaruwa?+Anuradhapura?+CMB

1) It's not hard do Galle as a day /overnight trip from Colombo once you finish the rest of the tour /before you start it

3) Quality accommodation in Nuwera can be overpriced. A lot of people prefer Ella.

4) Hatton is the base for Adam's Peak, but it's off season, so you will have to skip it altogether.

5) I'd stay overnight at some location in the cultural triangle to visit these sites.

Airport, Sigiriya ( anuradhapura), Kandy, Nuwera Eliya ( or Ella) and then Galle sounds like a better route.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
25 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: CMB+Galle+Kandy+Nuwara Eliya?+Polonnaruwa?+Anuradhapura?+CMB

Ok - I know I will find Galle interesting but not so sure about Sigiriya, Anuradhapura etc meaning I was thinking if I run out of time, I can skip stuff further from Colombo (will spend 3 nights there on arrival and one on exit) or Kandy.... And Lonely Planet itineraries are NOT always reasonable!

I tend to like booking most of my accoms in advance on Agoda using my CC and after reading lots of reviews rather than just showing up and hoping something decent is available or using other sites and then having to deal in cash on arrival. It just means its harder for me to be flexible while travel distances/times look a bit deceptive in Sri Lanka! I tend to prefer train travel as well - even if its slower, there's a toilet aboard and hopefully the A/C or video TV won't be full blast like on buses :)

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
4,783 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: CMB+Galle+Kandy+Nuwara Eliya?+Polonnaruwa?+Anuradhapura?+CMB

Yeah it's fine to pre-book your accommodation.

Colombo is overpriced and most visitors consider it the most "unsrilankan" city in the country. i.e your 3 betters might be better spent elsewhere, but that's up to you.

You can do most of the hill country via train. Have a look at the map here railway.gov.lk/web/…railway_network.png

2.5 weeks is enough time for a well paced itinerary. 4 days each in the cultural triangle, kandy, hill country + few days more for colombo and galle etc

Bentota, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
522 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: CMB+Galle+Kandy+Nuwara Eliya?+Polonnaruwa?+Anuradhapura?+CMB

Hi There,

I would do, Colombo > Galle > Hatton (for Adams peak)> Nuwara Elliya > Kandy > then either to Polonnaruwa, Anuradapura or just back to Airport.

Regards

Edited: 01 September 2014, 12:59
Bentota, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
522 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: CMB+Galle+Kandy+Nuwara Eliya?+Polonnaruwa?+Anuradhapura?+CMB

Sorry,

Only if you wish to do Adams peak, unless otherwise Galle . Nuwara Elliya the rest as above.

Regards

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
25 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: CMB+Galle+Kandy+Nuwara Eliya?+Polonnaruwa?+Anuradhapura?+CMB

I don't understand why LP Sri Lanka does NOT have that train map as I was going to look for one!

I also do work while I travel (as I am self employed) albeit at a reduced capacity e.g. check/respond to email in the morning, sight see, go in during the hottest part of the day for a nap & to do some work, out again for more sight seeing/dinner, then more work etc. So Internet speed or access can be a concern during weekdays but I have survived trips to Myanmar, Laos & around Java though and I assume the Internet speed/access in SL can't be any worst than elsewhere...

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
4,783 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: CMB+Galle+Kandy+Nuwara Eliya?+Polonnaruwa?+Anuradhapura?+CMB

Internet connectivity won't be a problem as long as you get a local sim from one of the big telcos here.

8. Re: CMB+Galle+Kandy+Nuwara Eliya?+Polonnaruwa?+Anuradhapura?+CMB

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2015, 05:16