We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best place for a beach wedding in Sri Lanka

Durham,uk
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
best place for a beach wedding in Sri Lanka

Hi,

I am thinking about choosing Sri Lanka to get married and have an idea of a beach wedding followed by an elephant trip. can anyone reccommend the nicest place to go to? things to avoid, good (cheep) hotels etc?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
57,540 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best place for a beach wedding in Sri Lanka

Hi there,

Generally spoken the beaches between Colombo and Galle are better than the ones near airport. In the Wadduwa-Bentota zone (so including Kalutara, Beruwela, Aluthgama) you will find most hotels that have special wedding coordinators, and lots of facilities too.

If you don't want to go luxury, the class of Taj Bentota or Blue Water Wadduwa or Heritance Ahungalla, then maybe Ceysands Bentota is for you. About 2-3 stars, brilliant location on a quiet peninsula and all guests coming by boat, but Jumbo can still reach it from the main land...

Have a nice time,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Chatham, United...
Level Contributor
222 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best place for a beach wedding in Sri Lanka

Hi Jules

We married at Heritance in 2003. Best thing we ever did. The total cost of all inclusive holiday, wedding, champagne breakfast on an island, video,photographs( including negatives!), elephant , local band, cake etc etc came to under £2,500. dont think we could get video alone for that over here. If you decide to marry in SL, and you should, please fel free to ask for other wedding tips, I'm sure many people on this page will be able to help.

regards Steve and Paula

Woking
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: best place for a beach wedding in Sri Lanka

Hi

I would like to get married in Sri Lanka on the beach and have an elephant ride for after but would like the wedding to be western. is this possible? I am worried that some of the photos I have seen of Negombo aren't very nice and this is where we were looking to stay (hotel dolphin) then onto maldives for our honeymoon. We're looking to do this end of June beg of July as we have a wedding reception at home booked for the 12th July 08.

Can someone please help?!?! I can't find any info on the net.

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best place for a beach wedding in Sri Lanka

Hi Miss

Most, if not all hotels in Sri Lanka would offer you the option of an elephant ride after your wedding, mostly as a sort of "homecoming" back to the hotel reception, or indeed a ride along the beach.

As for style of weddings, well i have to say that most people do opt for the more Sri Lankan type, with drummers, Kandyan dancers, and singers, but i am sure that they would be able to offer a more western approach to your wedding if that is really what you would like, but i think that would be a shame knowing what weddings out there are like.

Maybe an idea to e-mail some hotels direct with this question, to find out from them what is available.

Most tour operators would be advertising in thier brochures the more typical Sri Lankan style, so maybe more difficult to get info from them.

As Steve says, he got married at Heritance Ahungalla, and that hotel is on one of Sri Lanka's best stretches of beach.

June?, things "could" get interrupted a little by unpredictable weather at that time, it is middle of monsoon season, so it could well be a little unsettled!

Hope this helps a little

Regards

Dave

Woking
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: best place for a beach wedding in Sri Lanka

I was worried about the time of year, what is the weather like in June?

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best place for a beach wedding in Sri Lanka

Hi

June can be very unsettled with heavy monsoon downpours, although most likely in the morning time it will be hot with sunny spells.

The downpours tend to be in the afternoon/evening time, when the humidity rises.

Temperatures will be around 30 to 32 degrees everyday, and not much cooler in the evenings.

Weddings should where possible be arranged for morning or late afternoon when it will not be so hot.

Regards

Dave

Chatham, United...
Level Contributor
222 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best place for a beach wedding in Sri Lanka

Hi Miss

Regarding your request for a western wedding;

The local religion is predominantly Buddhist and therefore this tends to be what you get from the local registrar. However due to the colonial history of this island, Christian and Catholic churches are in use. With this in mind I'm sure that knowing how the Sri Lankan wedding coordinators love to make your day as perfect as possible, a Christian priest could be found to conduct the service.

However I would recomend going with the flow. When in Rome and all that.... The local ceremony is absolutely fabulous.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions. We had hundreds to ask before we went out, but in the end had a fabulous time we will NEVER forget.

best regards

Steve and Paula

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
57,540 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best place for a beach wedding in Sri Lanka

Good work of Steve and Paula!

Some more addition. As ourselves we were married in a 'Buddhist' way (due to Sandya's family), but also have quite some Lankan Catholic family, we can't help but remarking that the differences are not THAT big. 80% of the Lankan ceremony is common over the Buddhists/Hindus and the Catholics, as far as we noticed from the photo and video reports we saw from weddings in our Lankan Catholic family. (Never attended one of these, by chance...) The common part includes their specific way of literally tying the knot, the 'Poruwa' (roofed small platform where bride and groom stand), the oil lamp lighting etc. Differences are of course in the specific prayers and priests invited, and in special blessings done by those and a choir.

So doing a 'full' western style wedding would indeed probably not really suit the Lankan situation where you are in, though it is always your choice. A Lankan wedding with Western elements, like a priest, is fully your choice and can be arranged I suppose.

Regards,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Sheffield
Level Contributor
613 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best place for a beach wedding in Sri Lanka

Misskittie66

We stopped in Negombo quite a few times, mainly for a couple of days after landing and prior to leaving. The place has its plus's & minuses. Not the best beach in Sri Lanka, however there are a good few wedding halls around, and also a large, pretty Christian church, Catholic I think, near the Goldi Sands Hotel. The area does do a lot of local weddings and are spectacular to see. Having your honeymoon in the Maldives, would compensate hugely beach wise.

I guess it depends on how long you plan to stay around Negombo.

Perhaps one thing to consider are full moon days, and when they fall and alcohol is sometimes not served. Could spoil a toast.

No doubt others more cultured than me could advise you further on this custom.

Polhena
Level Contributor
74 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best place for a beach wedding in Sri Lanka

Hi there

Another option might be to hire a beach villa that can organise a wedding exactly to your requirements. Victoria Villa near Galle has a small pavillion next to the beach and they will coordinate everything with you. The villa is owned by a lovely lady living in the Uk and can be contacted through www.talpevillas.com. Another plus is that there are 5 bedrooms so its great if family are flying there with you and keeps eveything very private./

Cheers