We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dance show in Colombo

london
Level Contributor
242 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Dance show in Colombo

Are there any places that I can see Kandyan/ traditional Sri Lankan dancing in Colombo? I'll be there on a Sunday evening before coming back to UK. Unfortunately we don't have time to visit Kandy on this trip...

I don't mind if it's a really touristy place, it just looks amazing, and I'd love a chance to see it.

8 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
62,014 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dance show in Colombo

No, these shows generally aren't done in Colombo. They are part of the entertainment program of many beach resorts down south (and in Negombo) however, done by travelling dance troupes; but not aware of a public performance in Colombo.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
14 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dance show in Colombo

While agreeing with ErikdR, you can witness a Cultural dance show in Kandy. There're several places in Kandy where you can buy a ticket at the price of Rs.1000/- no idea whether the new government has included taxes for that) and watch a Kandyan dance show from 5.00 p.m. to 6.00 p.m.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
62,014 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dance show in Colombo

Yes but if you would have READ the request you would have seen the answer is pretty useless. OP writes

"Unfortunately we don't have time to visit Kandy on this trip"...

Tnx,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
14 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dance show in Colombo

Ohh...thank u so much for highlighting my homicidal mistake. I could not have read English if it wasn't for you.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
12 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dance show in Colombo

We have the same problem. I'd like to visit Kandy only for the dance. Possible to see it somewhere in Ella or Dambulla region?

If not, how to find out about these traveling troupes and their schedules? We will be traveling end nov - 4th dec

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
62,014 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dance show in Colombo

Call/mail the beach hotels you plan to stay at and ask for their entertainment schedule...

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Toronto
Level Contributor
4,858 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dance show in Colombo

You can contact these people and see if they have any shows during the time you are in Colombo. This is not an endorsement as I have not been to any of their shows.

www.punchitheatre.com/colombo-cultural-shows/

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dance show in Colombo

Nuga Gama at Cinnamon Grand has a cultural show on a Monday at 8pm if Im not mistaken, in case you can move your date of departure.

Reply to: Dance show in Colombo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted