We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Sri Lanka

3 posts
Save Topic
First time in Sri Lanka

Hey guys,

My friend and I will be traveling to Sri Lanka for 7 days in September and it's so hard to decide where to go/area to stay. We want to visit Kandy, Ella, sigiriya fortress-not sure where that is, nuwara eliya and leave Colombo for the last day before we fly back home. Knowing that it takes forever to get around to different places, where will be the best place to base ourselves? Is is better to book hotels in different cities for couple of days? Also can you recommend a reliable tour guide.

Your help would be so much appreciated I'm just so overwhelmed with all the infos I'm reading.

Thanks in advance

31 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
61,988 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Sri Lanka

Hi there,

This trip would really need the full 7 days with car-driver, and need 3 bases: Sigiriya, Kandy and Ella or Eliya, Plus possible first or last nights in Colombo or Negombo. See here

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29396…

for the transport and selecting a good one, would be around USD 60/day hence totally around USD 400-450.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

2. Re: First time in Sri Lanka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 July 2017, 17:35

Level Contributor
409 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Sri Lanka

Hi,

If your return flight is in the evening, you can stay the last night in Bentota. On your way to the airport you can do a city tour in Colombo. This way you get to relax in the beach side.

Day 1 Dambulla

Day 2 Kandy

Day 3 Nuwara Eliya

Day 4 Ella

Day 5 Bentota

Day 6 Bentota

Day 7 Departure

Hope this helps.

Cheers !!!!

Sarah

4. Re: First time in Sri Lanka

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 July 2017, 08:05

3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in Sri Lanka

Thank you so much guys, I'll start looking at hotels now and tour guide for the trip.

Edited: 20 July 2017, 20:39
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
61,988 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in Sri Lanka

And ignore nr. 4, you need multiple bases not one and especially not one in a so unfavourable located area as Panadura-Motatuwa :-(

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Yorkshire - England
Level Contributor
33 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in Sri Lanka

Hi,

We are coming to the end of our 2nd tour of Sri Lanka. The first time we did the cultural triangle and this time we've worked our way down the east coast.

It really depends what you are looking for but both are fab.

Having returned after 5 years (this time with our 8year old daughter in tow) we used the same driver who is absolutely fab. Speaks amazing English, a tour guide as much of a driver and good value. Have always felt safe with him and would highly recommend.

Message me if you would like his details.

Thanks

S&R

Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time in Sri Lanka

Hi, same here, that i will be travelling in september in sri lanka, the first time i went there is that i just stayed in colombo, now that i have some knowledge about SL, can you advice which olace to stay for my firts trip in dambulla and sigirya, then head to kandy for a night then spend most of the days in ella nuwara eliya. Imwill be in sri lanka for 15 days. Any advice? I am a bit worried as i will be travelling alone. Thanks for the help.

Edited: 26 July 2017, 19:53
9. Re: First time in Sri Lanka

Removed on: 01 August 2017, 06:05

10. Re: First time in Sri Lanka

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2018, 03:01

Reply to: First time in Sri Lanka
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted