We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to the east coast

1 post
Save Topic
Getting to the east coast

My girlfriend and I are traveling to Sri Lanka next May. We will be staying in Colombo for one night then heading to Trincomalee. What is the best way to travel there. We will have suitcases. I have looked at the train but there only seems to be the night train or one very early in the morning. Is there any luxury coaches that run through the day?

2 replies to this topic
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to the east coast

No special trains and the only as u got two trains n the other thing dont stay in Colombo , u can easily find a good place close to Katunayake(airport area) or negombo.

Coz there are around 40km from the airport n it takes around 2hours to a ride.but the issue is dat you re taking a train u need to be there as its better way to take it.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
62,025 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to the east coast

Well check the superlux bus booking sites mentioned here

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29396…

most also run at night but maybe a few daytime too. Otherwise indeed the 6.05 AM train (with transfer in Gal Oya). Or splitting over 2 days, what I sometimes do; first a decent-time train towards A'Pura and leave it at Maho Junction, which has 1-2 excellent hotels nearby at Yapahuwa, and next morning grab that '6.05' AM train from Maho at a far more decent time than in Colombo.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Reply to: Getting to the east coast
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted