We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Half a day at colombo

Which Colombo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bengaluru, India
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Half a day at colombo

Hi I am planning a trip to malaysia via colombo i have an 8 hour stop at colombo and i want to know what are the place that i can visit in this time in colombo even if it is a flying visit at places i dont mind and if taking a taxi is an option can any one suggest me a known taxi person.

Happy yatra

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Half a day at colombo

Hi yatra,

You can visit colombo museum during your short stay in Colombo. If you like shopping ODEL,Cotten Collection,House of Fashion are few places to remember.

Nishantha

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Half a day at colombo

HI,

If you fancy something other than smelly city, you'd have plenty time for a trip to the elephant orphanage at Pinawella.

From the airport , about 2 hours drive so you'd see some of the countryside and life in Sri Lanka.

The orphanage has a herd of about 60 elephants to see and also a decent restaurant for lunch.

You could use a taxi from the pre-paid stand in arrivals or myself or others could recommend one from the locality at about 5000 rupees for the complete day.

Rod.

Bengaluru, India
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Half a day at colombo

Hi thanks Nishantha thanks for your updates. These are the place we have planned to visit, just advise us whether it possible in half day (we are landing at Colombo at 12:30 p.m and the flight back is at 12.00 midnight same day) and how much will this cost.

1. Sightseeing tour of Colombo

a) Fort and Pettah

b) Town hall

c) Independence square

d) BICH

e) National Museum

f) Drive through cinnamon gardens

g) Dehiwala zoological gardens

2. Pinnawala elephant orphanage

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Half a day at colombo

Hi,

From the airport the Pinawella elephant orphanage is in the opposite direction to Colombo. Don't know how you're gonna include that.

I really can't understand why you're going into Colombo. If the trafic is bad, you could easily spend about 1 1/2 hours each way just sitting in a trafic jam, Thats 3 hours out of your short stop looking at the back of the next car.

Wouldn't be for me, I'd rather drive out into the country and look at the woodlands, the coconut groves, pineapple plantations, paddy fields, etc. ( or the elephants ).

Rod.

UK
Level Contributor
119 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Half a day at colombo

You will not have time to visit Colombo and the elephant orphanage.

Even a trip to the elephant orphange alone maybe too much. We have recently returned from SL and had an awful drive to and from the elephant orphanage from Colombo. It took about 2 and a half hours to get there and due to roadworks almost 5 hours to return. It was a complete nightmare. I have not been to SL since 2003 and was horrified at how much worse the traffic has become in that time.

You could have lunch, visit the Museum and do some shopping in Colombo instead. Anymore than that and you will be spending a lot of time in traffic. Lunch at the Paradise Road Gallery Cafe would be very nice.

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Half a day at colombo

Hi Red,

I was advocating the elephant orphamage on it's own.

From the airport it's only 2 /2 hours and you start from way outside Colombo so no city trafic the drive from the airport is through the country side and good , interesting scenery.

Rod,

7. Re: Half a day at colombo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 22:15