We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hibiscus Beach Hotel Kalutara

Lancashire
Level Contributor
29 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Hibiscus Beach Hotel Kalutara

Can anyone tell me if there are any restaurants and bars near this hotel? Thinking of going to Sri Lanka. First time and not sure where the best place to stay. Thanks

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hibiscus Beach Hotel Kalutara

Hi,

Not much restaurants around the Hibiscus beach hotel unless you go to the Kalutara North the nearest town for some of them.

Nishantha

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,033 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hibiscus Beach Hotel Kalutara

Agree. Kalutara is one of the many not-so-good places if you want to stay BB basis; half board at least is more suitable there. For BB fans, only 4 areas qualify fully and that's Negombo, Bentota, Hikkaduwa and Unawatuna. Runners-up, with a smaller and more scattered restaurant scene, are Beruwala, Mirissa and Tangalle.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hibiscus Beach Hotel Kalutara

Erik,

I think it's been too long since you visited Bentota-Beruwala area.

The number of restaurants in the two areas are about the same and the restaurants in Bentota are just as scattered in Bentota (except 2-3 restaurants around the tourist complex) as they are in Beruwala.

Hans

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,033 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hibiscus Beach Hotel Kalutara

Kind of expected this response from someone living close to Beruwala...

No there's still a HUGE difference and I see it everytime I pass Bentota on bus/train/car, and the rare times that I stop there recently.

In Bentota, the restaurant scene is either on 'the strip' (Galle Road and the parallel hotel road) or closeby in well-lit side lanes. In Beruwala, despite the growth, it's scattered. Some on the beach between the hotels, and also quite some on main Galle Road. Walking to these 2nd group from the hotels around dusk is fine, returning after dinner along the 500+ meters relatively dark road is NOT recommended. Nice business for tuktuk drivers.

So hence I still classify Beruwala in the same category as e.g. Mirissa or Tangalle. If you object to my stating of facts, fine to mention that here and come to an agreement. If you object to my criteria or opinion-style, well better leave it at this as usually these discussions remain inconclusive...

All the best,

<Erik>

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hibiscus Beach Hotel Kalutara

I agree to disagree.

Hans

6. Re: Hibiscus Beach Hotel Kalutara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2010, 06:17