We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accomodation and driver?

yorkshire
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Accomodation and driver?

Hi all,

I’m planning on ending my trip around Asia in Sri Lanka. We have flights booked to Colombo arriving on the 1 July 2010 for 14 days.

We have an idea of where we would like to visit and would like to know if we should pre-book accommodation in the UK or if it would be ok to leave it until we arrive. Additionally we have heard that you can arrange private drivers to stay with you for your trips but I have been unable to locate the information on this website, does anyone know where I can locate this info? Any other advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Sharon.

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Accomodation and driver?

Hi Sharon,

There are lists of drivers, both independant and company employed on sites such as www.infolanka.com. Just go to the site and look in the tourism section.

Or,

You can get many recommendations from members on here although you do have to be a little wary of self promoting drivers who shouldn't use this site as an advertising venue but do.

I can send you contact info for a couple of drivers who are Ceylon Tourist Board approved driver / guides by Pm. Any of the other DE's would do the same if you ask.

Best to get a few quotes so you can compare.

Rod.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accomodation and driver?

Hi,

Yes please pm me and i will follow it up. Have you got any advice for accommodation too?

Many thanks,

Sharon.

3. Re: Accomodation and driver?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 08:35
4. Re: Accomodation and driver?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 08:35
Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Accomodation and driver?

Hi if I was you I would wait till you are in SL and ask around as their are lots of drivers and cars, you have to get them to agree a rate before you book or agree with anyone. Also ask about two or three different people to give you a price. To give a guild about Rs54.00 to Rs64.00 per KM is what is about today. Make sure they understand English and get them to wright the amount down on paper.

The drivers that take you do get free accommodation and food when they take you to the hotels, or if you are booking the hotel just tell them you require drivers accommodation this is given free anyway for the driver.

Try and start of from Negombo as it is near the airport and is great to start and end your visit from here.

Good luck

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
11,650 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accomodation and driver?

HotUk,

"Hi if I was you I would wait till you are in SL and ask around as their are lots of drivers and cars,"

Seroiusly? you would rather walk out of an airport and trust the cheapest or the most reasonable driver/guide that you meet there, rather than a driver/guide reccommended by a DE or a trip advisor member who has been to sri lanka and returned safely without any incidents or unpleasant experiences?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,788 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accomodation and driver?

And at least I'd doublecheck the prices.

"To give a guild about Rs54.00 to Rs64.00 per KM is what is about today"

Is UTTER NONSENSE. It's about Rs 40/km, still, for a roundtrip (and Rs 60 for a one-way ride).

So if these kinds of advices are given, what about the quality of the rest of it?

Regards,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

yorkshire
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accomodation and driver?

Hi Thank you all for your help,

So is it also untrue that i need to ask for driver accommodation when i book transport?

Sharon.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accomodation and driver?

I meant when i book hotels. I know that my other half really wants to go to the tea factory in the Nuwara Eliya District and the Kandalama. It would be a bit of a pain to have to e-mail the hotel and ask if there is driver accommodation avalable. I assumed that they sorted themselves out.

Also we decided last night to end the holiday with 1 week on a beach, can anyone recommend a good 4or5* hotel by a beach for relaxation after our tour?

Many thanks Sharon.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Accomodation and driver?

The drivers/guides will suggest hotels/guesthouses where they free accomodation and food.

Hans

Get answers to your questions about Colombo
Recent Conversations