We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SriLanka for teenagers?

ISLAMBAD PAKISTAN
Level Contributor
411 posts
641 reviews
Save Topic
SriLanka for teenagers?

Hi

I plan to travel to Srilanka with 1 pre teen and 2 teen-aged daughters.

Please advise me about the activities and places that would amuse them.

Also tell me if excel world is any good.

Thanks

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,517 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SriLanka for teenagers?

Hi

Are you looking for a beach base? All inclusive? If so, a hotel like Club Hotel Dolphin at Waikkal might suit you. There are plenty of activities laid on to suit teenagers, a huge pool and it is also within reach of a couple of the most popular attractions in Sri Lanka which would appeal to them.

Both involve a long day trip, but are certainly possible in one day. The elephant orphanage at Pinnawela is the first idea; the second is whitewater rafting at Kitulgala. This is in a spectacularly beautiful area and the rafting is suitable for all ages and levels of expertise, including beginners. Best to pre-book this if you want to try it.

Sorry can't help you with excel world.

If you are looking to do a tour and cover several areas, (which is what I would do and have done on many occasions now, together with 3 teenaged children who loved every minute of it) come back to us and we can make some more suggestions.

Sue

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SriLanka for teenagers?

You can find a couple of reviews for Excel World here:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g293962-d6…

Hans

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,033 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SriLanka for teenagers?

Excel World? Not seriously interesting... Much nicer, even for local teens, is Kalu-Aggala water park; on the road to Kitulgala but only 1 hour from Colombo centre. Slides, jumps, lazy rivers etc - not Alston Towers level but close enough as a 3rd-world imitation of that.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

ISLAMBAD PAKISTAN
Level Contributor
411 posts
641 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SriLanka for teenagers?

We plan to move around and see as much of the country as possible.

rough plan is:

Land in Colombo and move to Kandy via train or bus.

Set base in Kandy and see most places around it (help in identifying these)

Move to mountains to visit tea factory and Adams footprint etc.

Move to Hikauwa to enjoy the beach area.

Visit colombo for 1 day.

Please help with air conditioned hotel, food, sights not to miss, travel mode and budget tips.

HOW CAN I SEE ALL YOUR SRILANKA PICS?

Thanks for such a prompt response. It is deeply appreciated.

Znojmo, Czech...
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SriLanka for teenagers?

hikkaduwa would be a good beach resort ,there are some resorts with pools ,also a snorkelling reef and good for body boarding on the waves close to the shore..

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: SriLanka for teenagers?

Hi Hinawaseem,

If you are interested at all in the historical sites of the Cutlural triangle, such as Anuradhapura, Polonorua, Mihintale, Ritigala, Sigirya , Dambulla cave temples, etc.. and maybe an elephant ride at Habarana or a safari in Mineriya national park, then you'd be better to include another stop, somewhere in the Sigirya , Habarana areas.

Otherwise, to visit much many of the sites there, you'd be going up and down the same stretch of road each day.

In or around Kandy, The Botanical gardens at Peradiniya,,, ( a sort of suburb of Kandy ) The Temple of the Tooth, the culrural show,,, a mix of Kandian costume and mask dancing and also some firewalkers,, and a day trip from Kandy to visit the Elephant Orphanage or / and the Millenium Elephant Foundation at Pinawella.

The hill country is beautiful and in my opinion everyone should include at least a full day around somewhere such as Haputale or Ella although , as you intend to climb Adams Peak, then perhaps that would be enough of walking up mountains for you.

www.kodakgallery.co.uk/Slideshow.jsp…

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: SriLanka for teenagers?

I don't know what heppened there, the message posted itself. Must be something to do with the cold, snowy weather we're having.

I was going to add, while in the visinity of Adams Peak I agree with Sue regarding the white water rafting at Kitulgala. It's great fun, completely safe and the area is stunning.

The link that posted itself along with my message is all photo.s

You were asking how to see some Sri Lanka photo,s

Thats link is to about 1000 photo,s set in 6 albums. All from one trip which I did a couple of years ago.

They are just how they downloaded fromn the camerqa so there's a few bad ones in there but plenty of good ones as well. If you browse them and see anything you like the look of, just tell me the album name and the pic. number and I can tell you, where it is, what it is and how to get there.

Rod.

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,517 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SriLanka for teenagers?

Hello again

Great. I'm glad you are touring around and glad that you are visiting Kandy and hillcountry and also Hikkaduwa which is a lovely resort and ideal for families.

It's a shame that you do not have time to visit the cultural triangle where there are so many things to see, including the climb of Sigiriya, but this area would increase your travelling distance and if you don't have a fortnight or more, it is impossible to cover all the main attractions of the country.

You can go to Kandy by bus from Katunayake which is the little town where the airport is situated. You do not have to go into Colombo first.

Kandy: Main attractions are the Temple of the Tooth and Botanical Gardens. Elephant Orphanage is around an hour's drive away and is often done from a Kandy base.

From Kandy, it is straightforward to get to all main places in the hillcountry such as Nuwara Eliya, Ella, Haputale, etc. by train. For Adam's Peak, get off the train at Hatton and continue by bus or Tuk-tuk to Dalhousie.

Adam's Peak is a fabulous walk but unless you are visiting in the main season (roughly December to May), bear in mind that the path will not be lit up at night, when the climb is generally made.

Slightly more effort is needed to reach Hikkaduwa from Dalhousie or other hillcountry bases and involves a long and sometimes indirect bus route. If you are considering having a taxi for any of your holiday, then this is the time to use it, although it would not be cheap. With time, I would suggest a bus from, say, Ella to the south coast, and then explore along the south coast, staying at least one night somewhere before reaching Hikkaduwa, maybe somewhere like Tangalle to break the journey.

Your journey along the south coast and back up the west coast to Colombo is easy to do by bus, or by train from Matara.

You can see some of my Sri Lanka photographs on this site. They don't cover all the places you mention, but Adam's Peak and Kandy are there:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/susiestaustell/

Depending on your budget and length of stay, you might want to consider hiring a driver/guide for your touring time. Most have 7/8 seater a/c minivans and we can recommend drivers if you are interested in this option. To save money, I would suggest parting company with your driver once you reach your beach base.

Sue

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,517 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SriLanka for teenagers?

With regard to budget accommodation in Sri Lanka, there are several suggestions of recommended places in this recent post:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293962-i9270-k3…

In addition, Slightly Chilled Guesthouse at Dalhousie is a lovely base for your Adam's Peak climb.

All the best,

Sue

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,517 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: SriLanka for teenagers?

All accommodation mentioned in the link I gave in my previous post, detail more budget suggestions, but are in lovely locations, offering superb value for money. You really do not need air-conditioning for your stay in Kandy or the hillcountry where it is much cooler than on the coast or in the cultural triangle.

I suggest you book on a B & B basis to enable you to try out local restaurants which are often excellent and much cheaper than at hotels. Buy your drinks at local shops also. When travelling with a family, we purchase large bottles of drinking water from local shops and also the supermarket Cargills, decanting them into our regular drinking bottles. Local shops are overall much cheaper for all kinds of drinks than at hotels, although if you choose to stay at guesthouses, the prices are generally reasonable for both meals and drinks.

Sue