We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

galle face or lavinia ?

Which Colombo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
458 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
galle face or lavinia ?

Given a choice of Galle face or Lavinia ..... which one should I go for ?

Colchester
Level Contributor
898 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: galle face or lavinia ?

For me it would be the Galle Face, new Regency Wing. I stayed here twice in February this year and the rooms are a good standard and then you have all the facilities and ambience of the old colonial wing. A cocktail on the terrace at sunset, overlooking the ocean is a must do experience. With the Mount Lavinia you have a slow journey from the centre of Colombo, which at peak times can take over an hour. The building is nice but you need to get the rooms with an ocean view and not too near the railway. The centre of Colombo does not have a lot to offer tourists but if you want the shops, markets and best restuarants then Galle Face is the one for you. If, on the other hand, you want to be away from the centre of the capital have a look at the Mount Lavinia.

David.

Singapore
Level Contributor
458 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: galle face or lavinia ?

Thanks Dm51

3. Re: galle face or lavinia ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 August 2010, 14:35
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
325 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: galle face or lavinia ?

Breakfast or dinner on the terrace at Mount Lavinia is very hard to beat. The view is terrific - overlooking the ocean and Colombo city. If you are booking a room at Mount Lavinia, bed and breakfast would be best. They have a fresh cut fruit buffet and a good choice of food for breakfast.

Getting a room away from the train tracks and overlooking the ocean is not hard to get and does not cost extra money, if requested early. I stay at Mount Lavinia at least once a year and always got a room overlooking the ocean. The young staff at the front desk are a little slow, but the restaurant staff and doormen give you great service.

Mount Lavinia also has one of my favorite spa's, which I would always recommend.

If you get tired of eating at the hotel there are plenty of restaurants right on the beach at the bottom of College Avenue, which is a 10 minute walk. Keels Supermarket, vegetable market, Charriott (for pastries), the post office, railway station, KFC, banks, and plenty of other shops are also about 10 minutes walking distance.

I cannot speak for Galle Face Hotel as I haven't been there in years.

Robbie

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,497 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: galle face or lavinia ?

I have only stayed at Mount Lavinia but have eaten at both hotels. The food is excellent at both places and the lunches at Galle Face are legendary! However, I love the location of the Mount Lavinia hotel. It is simply stunning, and there's a beach alongside too, whereas at Galle Face the outlook is rather uninteresting in comparison. I agree it's a longer journey into the centre of Colombo but I'd rather stay at Mount Lavinia.

Sue

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: galle face or lavinia ?

Hi Robbie...

The Spa at Mount Lavinia, presumably you mean The Coconut Spa??,if so then you must have met a dear friend of mine who works there, Suli?, lovely girl, she also worked HA Spa too..

Must make a point of calling her up and seeing on my next trip..

I cannot comment on which hotel is best, only stayed at Galle Face Regency, was ok, but not overjoyed with it.

Regards

Dave

Edited: 14 August 2010, 21:14
Znojmo, Czech...
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: galle face or lavinia ?

it also depends on what you plan to do on this holiday, location is far more important to me than the hotel itself so i would choose galle face for it,s proximity to swimming beaches. but if the beaches aren,t so important then lavinia is less travelling time.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: galle face or lavinia ?

music,

Have you mixed up the locations?

Galle Face Hotel is in the middle of Colombo.

Hans

Znojmo, Czech...
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: galle face or lavinia ?

you are right Hans, my mistake . i was thinking of locations, galle rather than lavinia. i should know really as i have been inside both hotels.

my apologies . ignore my previous post.

10. Re: galle face or lavinia ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 September 2010, 12:35