We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Female travelling alone-problems?

Wembley, United...
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Female travelling alone-problems?

Have recently booked a holiday to sri lanka ,I will for the most part be in a group travelling on a group tour, but at the beginning and end of the tour I will be staying in hotels as an unacompanied female.I have been reading some guidebooks and they all say that females travelling alone can expect to be hassled.my guide books are quite old-is this still the case, I will still go on my hols , but would like to know what I am letting myself in for i.e should I pack an extra can of mace LOL

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,019 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Female travelling alone-problems?

Hi there,

Not much reason to worry as long as you behave like at home and respect local habits. So no dark back alleys near the hotels, and no 'offensive' clothing at temples, churches etc.

Public transport with a packed crowd, e.g. buses, has some risk but learn a few anti-hassle local words like 'Yanne''. Works very well, the offender is too ashamed to continue...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Wembley, United...
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Female travelling alone-problems?

Thats great news, thankyou, I dont anticipate travelling on public transport, wont be going out after dark and am too old to wear clothes that are not respectfull-so sounds like I will be okay!

West Yorks
Level Contributor
869 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Female travelling alone-problems?

Erik, before I go shouting "Yanne", please tell me what exactly it means.

Thanks

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Female travelling alone-problems?

Yanne = Go or Go away.

Hans

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,517 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Female travelling alone-problems?

I have often travelled with just my daughter around Sri Lanka, and sometimes alone. Neither of us has had any problem at all with hassling. You might get fed up with constant requests for your mobile phone number, but that's as bad as it gets! Public transport has certainly never presented us with any problems. The buses have as many local women and children on them as men and all have behaved impeccably...

Sue

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Female travelling alone-problems?

Hi there

I have travelled through the country 5 times alone and always found it manageable.

You will get some hassle though as lots of Russian women go to the country alone and pay for Sri Lankan men to 'accompany' them for their trips!!

I wear a wedding ring at the times Im in the villages/markets and this helps, youll get asked constantly where your husband/children are, just be polite but firm in your answers!

Have a greast trip, I am returning myself in May and I cannot wait.

Kind regards

Lesley

Wembley, United...
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Female travelling alone-problems?

Many thanks for the replies it seems there will be more hassle then I suffer in my frequent trips to the carribbean, but I guess I will just have to suffer it to see this beautiful country which has been on my wish list for years.My wedding ring is firmly in place, (happily married, just my husband is unable to accompany me on this trip due to work commitments)-better start practicing my prononciation of 'yanne'!

8. Re: Female travelling alone-problems?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2011, 13:19
Colombo, Sri Lanka
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Female travelling alone-problems?

Hi,

Is this your first visit to SL? I can assure you that your will be safe thruout your journey and will have full freedom to enjoy your trip. As you go to any country, just need to respect the culture in Sri Lanka. People are born with smile and hospitality. Tourist Safety in the country has been improved a lot during past few years. Do not forget to visit some important places, such as Anuradhapura, Pollonnaruwa, Down South Beaches, Wild Life Park, Little England and Kandy.

Wish you a pleasant trip in SL.

Wembley, United...
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Female travelling alone-problems?

Many thanks, really looking forward to this trip and seeing the many interesting sites : )