We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Colombo to Kandy

Birmingham
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Train from Colombo to Kandy

Hi,

We are arriving in Colombo on the 14th Jan staying 1 night then planning to get the train up to Kandy the next day.

Not sure what time would be best for us to be able to enjoy the views on the way up there.

I believe there are 2 express trains available 1 early in the morning and 1 late afternoon.

If we get the late afternoon train will it be light all the way up to Kandy ??

Also what's the chances of getting decent ish seats on the train when we get tickets so close to travelling as we will probably get them the day before or on the day we travel on the train ???

Any news on the weather in the last day or so ???

Cheers

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Colombo to Kandy

Hi,

There are 2 daily ICE trains from Colombo to Kandy.

dep. 07:00 - arr. 09:35

dep. 15:35 - arr. 18:05

Seats have to be reserved in advance from Colombo Fort railway station - max 28 days in advance.

In January the sun sets a little after 18:00 and gets dark soon after that.

Recent days quite decent weather. Today mostly overcast and forecast says 40% chance of scattered thunder showers.

Hans

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Colombo to Kandy

You can find other connections (Kandy and/or Peradeniya) here:

http://www.railway.gov.lk/index.php

Hans

Edited: 05 January 2011, 08:06
Colchester
Level Contributor
898 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Colombo to Kandy

I don't think it matter whether you get the morning or afternoon train as far as the light is concerned. As Hans has said, if you get the afternoon train it will just be getting dark as you reach Kandy, assuming the train is on time.

For the best views aproaching Kandy you should sit on the left hand side of the carriage, back to engine. I have never tried asking for seats on a specific side of this train but it would be worth a go. Try to get your tickets the day before. Not sure what time the booking office opens for this ICE train but it might not be in time for the morning train. (Do any of the other DEs know?)

Good luck.

David.

Birmingham
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Colombo to Kandy

Thanks for your replies guys very helpful although bit worried about the weather though.

I was in Kandy 3 years back for the cricket (England) end of November and I can't recall there being a cloud in the sky the whole week I was there this year weather seems to be crazy in a lot of places.

Kilmarnock, United...
Level Contributor
376 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Colombo to Kandy

Do you have to book in person at Colombo station? or Can you book train tickets online?

Regards

Cessnock

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Colombo to Kandy

Hi,

You can't book train tickets online.

Seat reservation for Intercity trains (Colombo-Kandy) can supposedly be done by calling Mobitel Call Center by dialing short code 365 (from a Mobitel SIM?) or in person.

www.railway.gov.lk/news_and_events_more.php…

Hans

Kilmarnock, United...
Level Contributor
376 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Colombo to Kandy

Thanks Hans

Cessnock

8. Re: Train from Colombo to Kandy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2011, 07:18