We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whats a fair price for Taxi's

surrey
Level Contributor
115 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Whats a fair price for Taxi's

We are staying at Mount Lavinia for a 4 days and have been recommended to eat out at Jaffra Eating House , Breeze and Wellewatte Beach. After reading the forums on possible 'rip off' taxi fares can anyone advise me what sort of price we should be expected to pay. As we will obviously be a sitting target not knowing how far these restaurants are located from our hotel. Any advise would be appreciated.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
57,490 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whats a fair price for Taxi's

Hi there,

W.beach restaurant is about 4 km by logical road (2 km as the crow flies), don't know about the other two. Tuktuk fare should be based on Rs 30/km one-way, and car far on Rs 65/km one-way. So better check the distance to the others first from the hotel or by obtaining address and then estimating at sites like maps.google.com.

Have fun,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
50 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whats a fair price for Taxi's

I would suggest that you hire a one 3wheel or taxi driver for all your transport needs. Ask for their cell phone number. They will give you a good rate. If you want i can provide you with 3wheel drivers in my area whom i travel with regularly. They will give u a good rate. Send me a pvt msg if you are interested.

Colchester
Level Contributor
898 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whats a fair price for Taxi's

There are metered taxi firms in the Colombo area. the one I have used and found very reliable is called Kangaroo cabs. I seem to remember that the rate is around Rs. 55 per Km and waiting time is about Rs. 100 per hour. All the drivers I had spoke good English. If you need a phone number for them, then send me a PM.

On the New Jaffna Eating House topic, this place is wonderful, very rough and ready but terrific value. It is on Station Road, close to the junction with the Galle Road, sea side. The entrance is quite narrow and easily missed. Just walk a few yards down from the Galle Road junction and it is on the left.

David.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
161 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Whats a fair price for Taxi's

Here it is Derana cabs...

sriderana.com/sriderana_derana_cabs_price_li…

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whats a fair price for Taxi's

Achi,

OP asked about taxi prices in Colombo.

Hans

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
161 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Whats a fair price for Taxi's

Hans It's clearly given any place less than 100km Rs24-28/km.So in your dictionary Colombo doesn't come under anyplace??: -)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
161 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Whats a fair price for Taxi's

Yes.They don't have a office in Colombo.But that was the recommended taxi service for the world cup .Interesting...

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whats a fair price for Taxi's

Calling a taxi from the Hill Country for a trip in Colombo/Mount Lavinia does not make sense to me.

Hans

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whats a fair price for Taxi's

Derana Cabs are recommended for Kandy!

Kangaroo Cabs or Ace Cabs are recommended for Colombo.

So will you be using Derana Cabs for the matches to be played in Bangalore?

Hans

Edited: 25 January 2011, 17:53
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
161 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Whats a fair price for Taxi's

Yes .I never thought they Wouldn't run it from Col since it is one of the leading company in sl.

And there is no ques of using Derana cabs in Bangalore since I'm not gonna pay INR 28/KM for a taxi..