We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toilets on tour

Which Colombo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
121 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Toilets on tour

Hi

We're contemplating doing a tour of the main sites in january next year, but i am a bit put off by the distances involved and the apparent lack of reasonable toilet facilites. Yes, i know this may seem silly but when you get to my age these things can certainly detract from your holiday experience! Does anyone know if the tours are by minibus or coach? And if any have toilets?

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toilets on tour

Hi,

The mode of transportation depends on the tour company and the size of the tour group.

Minibuses (passenger vans up to 10 persons) do not have toilets. Some of the more modern coaches may have toilets on board, but not all have.

Hans.

Newcastle upon Tyne
Level Contributor
241 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toilets on tour

Things like this are very important! I have no experience of larger tour operators or group tours. It may be worthwhile you considering using an independent guide who will have the flexibility to stop whenever you need to. I have never experienced any worries because my guide had a wealth of knowledge about where the decent western style toilets were. These were often attached to hotels or restaurants. Once he even called at a private house and the lady who lived there greeted us so warmly it all added to our experience! He always gave us advance warning if we were likely to be more than a couple of hours away from a toilet so we could pay a visit in advance.

Good luck!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toilets on tour

we did a tour of Sri Lanka last year, the toilet were dissappointing on the way, but if the coaches stop at a clean guest house or a hotel the toilets are not that bad if you have to use them. You need to tell your driver or the guide to stop at a clean guest house/hotel where you can get a cup of tea/refreshments and the use of a reasonable toilet. I would take a roll of toilet paper on the tour and a packet/of wet wipes/antiseptic wipes , and possibly if you can get them a packet of toilet seat covers.

Galle Face group is supposed to update these amneties, on the way whether they have done this not sure.

Gokaralla
Level Contributor
139 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Toilets on tour

Toilets. Some good well cleaned toillets are maintained by hotels/guest houses. But on the way there are some.

In Colombo-Dambulla road therefew such places.

Ceylinco Insurance group maintained 2 places. U can use this free of charge.

one is closer to Pasyala

The other place Ambanpola closer to Melsiripura

Wayamba Comfort Center also have this facility.

Badagamuwa, Kurunagala

This is also use free of charge

It has email facilities, resturant, spa center, bank & few shops too.

There are similar places in other roads too.

Level Contributor
176 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toilets on tour

I could tell a few horror stories but it would not be fair. My advice is never miss the chance of using a nice toilet, even if you have to force yourself. You may be glad you did a few hours later.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,964 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Toilets on tour

Juun has given good advice.

There are good toilets around but you have to know where they are. We had an excellent guide who stopped whenever we wished to do so and also frequently suggested that there was a good rest stop for tea and toilets however many minutes/kms away.

I should think that if you are on a tour with a travel company, their drivers would do the same. As some reassurance, the toilet situation now is better than it has been in the past with more of them in more places, cleaner and the throne variety being common.

The difficult places are at the actual sites such as in the temple precincts at Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa. You can't just pop into a toilet in those places. The Museum at Polonnaruwa does have good toilets - just ask for the key at the shop at the back if they are locked. It's a good idea to stop there first and return later if needed. I think the same sort of thing would apply at the building in A'Pura where you purchase your round ticket.

Archi

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,624 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Toilets on tour

Hi Katy. toilets! Your question most certainly is not silly. I'm of a certain age myself and travel, sometimes in obscure places, regularly. As we travel around south east asia, India and places like that, I''ve made a bit of a project about toilets and always like to check them out wherever we are, whether I need to or not. I have a heap of halarious stories as a result.

I've come across some beauties while on the road in India, but I won't put you off by telling you even though you'd probably kill yourself laughing.

While in Sri Lanka recently, there was only one place where necessity overtook me while we were out in nowhereland. The driver just pulled over and I scarpered into the bush, made sure there were no biting critters in the vicinity and all was well.

8. Re: Toilets on tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 14:19