We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beaches near colombo.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
beaches near colombo.

Hi, my partner and I are going to sri lanka in July and wanted to spend 2-3 nights at a beach not too far from colombo, or not too far drive away.

are there any suggestions? what beaches would be good to go to for that time of year?

We would prefe rto have a hotel/guesthouse that has a pool as well

cheers

John

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: beaches near colombo.

Hi John,

You will not be able to swim at the west coast beaches (except the reef protected part of the beach in Hikkaduwa) in July.

The nearest beaches from Colombo are at Mount Lavinia and Negombo, but they are not among the nicest beaches in Sri Lanka. The better beaches start from Bentota (3 hours south of Colombo) and further south.

Hans

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: beaches near colombo.

Thanks Han

i guess if we can't swim at the beach then will probably try get a hotel/guesthouse that has a good pool as well

any recommendations.

also the beaches further south from bentoto, would these ones be suitable for beach swimming as well

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: beaches near colombo.

July is in the southwest monsoon season, so seas will be too rough for swimming on all west coast and south coast - except for reef protected beaches, e.g. Hikkaduwa and Unawatuna.

July is the high season on the east coast, e.g. Trincomalee/Nilaveli, but that is about 7 hours drive from the airport.

Hans

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: beaches near colombo.

Thanks Hans

7 hours is quite far.

We might do a couple of nights in negombo then might do a few nights further south at hikkaduwa and unawatuna as the beach may be abit better.

Are there any suggestions of a good place (not too expensive) with a pool at negombo?

also, during mid/late july, i understand it is monsoon at that area, however at the above beaches is it just short showers or does it rain for full days

cheers

John

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: beaches near colombo.

From mid July it's mainly sunny with some late afternoon/evening showers.

Hans

6. Re: beaches near colombo.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 04:19