We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time visiting sri lanka,help please

Which Colombo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
larkhall
Level Contributor
46 posts
229 reviews
Save Topic
1st time visiting sri lanka,help please

My wife & I plan to visit Sri Lanka January 2012.Could someone please advise us of a nice resort and hotel to go to preferrably near beach and elephant sanctuary.Also how far and how much it costs to get their from airport in sterling please.thank you.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,034 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time visiting sri lanka,help please

Hi there,

Elephant Orphanage is 2.5 hours from Colombo and at least 4 hours from the nearest IMHO _good_ beach, being the Bentota/Beruwala area. Sorry for the geographically-caused problems...

We'd recommend Taj Vivanta in Bentota, if your budget permits. Transfer from airport to that area would cost around Rs 7,000-8,000, so around 50 quid.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

2. Re: 1st time visiting sri lanka,help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 April 2011, 14:36
larkhall
Level Contributor
46 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time visiting sri lanka,help please

Thank you I;ll look into that.Is it worth staying in Colombothen taking tour. thank you.

larkhall
Level Contributor
46 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time visiting sri lanka,help please

Thank you for your reply.I didn;t realise everywhere was so far from Colombo.Might have to stay there as our flight inwards arrives evening and dont want long journey at night.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,034 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time visiting sri lanka,help please

Yes agree that in a case like yours an overnight stay close to the airport for the first night is good. Use Negombo, not Colombo, for that; much closer to airport and generally cheaper too.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

6. Re: 1st time visiting sri lanka,help please

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 April 2011, 17:35
larkhall
Level Contributor
46 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time visiting sri lanka,help please

Thank you for your help,I can see I; ll have to do a bit more researching of the area.We;ve got 4 nights and really just want to see a little bit of the country before we fly home.

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
592 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time visiting sri lanka,help please

Hi...we have a 6 night trip and are planning to spend 3 nights in Cultural Triangle. This is about 4-5 hours outside Colombo and has both elephant safaris in the area and an orphanage. You might also be able to do this from Kandy. Maybe 2 nights in Kandy or Cultural Triangle and 2 nights beach?

9. Re: 1st time visiting sri lanka,help please

Removed on: 19 April 2011, 21:05
larkhall
Level Contributor
46 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st time visiting sri lanka,help please

Thank you for your reply,could you tell mewhere the cultural triangle is located.