We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prepaid SIM Card

Which Colombo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
89 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Prepaid SIM Card

I will be in Colombo for 5 days and need a prepaid SIM. Any advice on the best deal? It would be better if the SIM Card also includes 3G data plan.

Thanks!

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prepaid SIM Card

SIM cards are very cheap - just a few hundred Rupees, so really not need for shopping around. Dialog, Mobitel and Etisalat offer 3G.

I would just buy a SIM card fro the Dialog shop at the airport.

Hans

Colchester
Level Contributor
898 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prepaid SIM Card

Dialog seem to have the best coverage and internal and overseas calls are cheap by European standards. No experience of their 3G service but as Hans says, get a SIM from their office at the airport (I take it your phone is unlocked) and then buy pay as you go cards from outlets all over the island. Use them to recharge whilst still in the place where you bought them to make sure they are genuine. Agents can also buy credit over the phone for you and you are sent a text saying how much has been credited. Not sure if Dialog still do the My Ten service but this gives you calls to 10 selected numbers at a lower rate, and includes two International numbers. Check first to see if this offer still applies.

Good luck,

David.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
51 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prepaid SIM Card

is Dialog offer daily unlimited GPRS? Did not see it on their website

4. Re: Prepaid SIM Card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 18:16