We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Official Airport Taxis/Taxi scams

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
169 reviews
Save Topic
Official Airport Taxis/Taxi scams

Yes, it's that question again. ;o)

I was in Sri Lanka last year but I was only going to Negombo and the cost of the taxi wasn't an issue. We are arriving again next Sunday and we are going direct from the airport to Aluthgama. Can someone remind me what the story is with regard to official taxis and where we pick them up?

Also, what taxi scams do we have to look out for?

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Official Airport Taxis/Taxi scams

Having been there twice I find that hard to believe. I enjoyed my Si Lanka holidays but I have never been in anywhere worse for tourists being targeted by scammers.

Edited: 29 June 2013, 22:44
Negombo, Sri Lanka
3 posts
Save Reply
42. Re: Official Airport Taxis/Taxi scams

Well, there is no differentiation as local or tourist counters now.

Whether you're local or foreign, you can reserve from any of the counters.

There are 06 private taxi counters + 01 taxi counter operated by the Airport (BIATS).

And also there is no price difference, but still you can bargain with private taxi counters. Not with the BIATS.

Linton Fernando.

Negombo, Sri Lanka
3 posts
Save Reply
43. Re: Official Airport Taxis/Taxi scams

Well, there is no differentiation as local or tourist counters now.

Whether you are local or foreign, you can always reserve from any of these counters.

There are 06 facility providing private counters + The airport taxi counter (BIATS).

Anyhow You can bargain with the private taxi counter operators, but not with BIATS.

Linton Fernando.

Edited: 30 June 2013, 15:47
44. Re: Official Airport Taxis/Taxi scams

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 August 2013, 11:05
Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
3 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Official Airport Taxis/Taxi scams

Would just like to advise travellers to be careful when booking with ctaxi (cason taxi). We used them from the city to the airport and the driver was extremely reckless. Driving in Colombo is pretty scary already, but this driver suffered from road rage and sped up to catch a BUS that had cut him off - almost causing a seriously dangerous accident. This was the first time I actually feared for my safety.

UK
Level Contributor
494 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Official Airport Taxis/Taxi scams

Have had the odd driver like that in India and yes it can be very frightening...tends ti be just normal hailed taxis though........with Booked Tourist guide drivers experience should be better. I always have a strong discussion with them before we go, but some just in a real rush to get rid of you and desperate to get on to the next job

5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
47. Re: Official Airport Taxis/Taxi scams

Hello! We are going to be in Sri Lanka on the 12th to the 19th of October. I got quoted US 50 for airport pick up and drop off in Colombo city (Rosmead Placce) Is that an acceptable rate?

Also got quoted US 425 for a round trip travel from Colombo to yala to galle and back to Colombo over 5 days. A/C car with English speaking driver.... What do you guys think of the rates?

Please help.!!! I need to book soon. We are two women with a 2 yearl old and safety is out first priority! Please advise..

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Official Airport Taxis/Taxi scams

USD 50 is heavily overpriced. Should be around USD 25.

Hans

5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
49. Re: Official Airport Taxis/Taxi scams

Really??? Ok. Thanks Hans! What do you think of US 425 for the trip from Colombo - Yala - Galle - Colombo? All happening from 13th to the 18th of October?

I thought it was going to be cheaper... And a little out of my budget!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,870 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Official Airport Taxis/Taxi scams

That's 600 km @ Rs 45 makes Rs 27,000 --> around USD 220. Might be same idiot overpriced type of scammer as you had for the airport pickup quote I'm afraid. But the catch here is that they have a daily minimum mileage of 100-150 km, rightly so, hence if you have e.g. one idle day in those five days easily the fair price increases with USD 60.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Edited: 09 October 2013, 16:22