We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visa for 35 days?

new york city
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
visa for 35 days?

Hi, I am a US citizen, I will be in Sri Lanka for 35 days beginning dec 20, 2011. I've been told that I must go on arrrival to get a visa extension in the immigration office in colombo. I would like to avoid spending time in colombo. Does anyone have experience with this. Is it possible to get the extension at the airport immigration on entry or on return 35 days later (when the 30 day visa is expired). I don't want a hassle with immigration authorities. What are the consequences of arriving back at the international airport 35 days later with an expired visa? Would be so grateful for advice

Preston
Level Contributor
486 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visa for 35 days?

I overstayed once following the tsunami, the Doctor and a Local Government Officerfrom the hospital where I had been working gave me letters saying I had been engaged in important work in a remote area and this was enough to get me on the plane (they were very nice actually)

I was told that under normal circumstances I would not be allowed to leave until I had been to Colombo and got a visa extension and it would cost me more because I would be fined for overstaying.

I can't swear this is still the law (the destination experts will know more) but unless you get reliable advice staying it won't be a problem - don't risk it or you'll miss your flight.

Preston
Level Contributor
486 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visa for 35 days?

To balance what I've written above, about 5 years ago I travelled with a guy from the Nederlands who over stayed by a couple of days, we'd been held up because of some trouble around Trinco, he explained what the problem was and he got through ok, so you could be lucky - but I wouldn't risk it

Edited: 10 December 2011, 21:17
Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,463 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visa for 35 days?

Hi there....

Yes, agree with Mark, not a good idea to overstay your visa (30 days), you will have to extend in Colombo, OR , if there is a Sri Lanka High Comission in New York, then get a visa before departure, usally done same day these days..

Regards

Dave

Preston
Level Contributor
486 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visa for 35 days?

I guess flouting the visa laws in any country isn't a good idea. I'm pretty sure they can't be extended at the airport on the way in and it's highly unlikely that they can simply be extended on the way out anywhere, so it’s a trip to Colombo for an extension or face arrest, a fine and deportation

....... the storys below suggest that now is the wrong time to test the water:-)

http://www.dailynews.lk/2011/11/15/news13.asp

thesundayleader.lk/2010/…

5. Re: visa for 35 days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11 December 2011, 15:22
Edited: 11 December 2011, 15:22
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: visa for 35 days?

The latest I have seen on overstaying (at Immigration Department) is that you will be charged normal visa fee (USD 100 for US citizens) and a fine of similar amount. Further you will be put on immigration observation list or be blacklisted.

You can't extend your visa at the airport. That can only be done at Sri Lanka Overseas Missions or at Immigration Department in Colombo 10. The process in Colombo usually takes 1.5-2 hours. Immigration Department is open from 8.30 am to 2 pm - Monday to Friday (except public holidays).

Hans

Doha
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: visa for 35 days?

it really depends on the guy at the airport when you depart, i misread the date on mine last month and was 7 days over, the immigration guy asked me if i wanted to pay now or when i returned, and they let me through without any payment after a 15 min wait.,

Immigration in Colombo will take maybe an hour or so for an extension, which i have done a number of times. If you go this route go as early as possible and it can be quicker, if you know someone there it can be done in 15-20mins

Brisbane
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: visa for 35 days?

Don't take any visa risks at all.

Don't take any visa risks at all.

In addition, I suggest that you check your visa stamp on your passport BEFORE you leave the Immigration desk at the airport as well to make sure that you have been given the 30 days AND that the visa has been initialled by the Immigration officer.

Most likely everything will be in order, especially if you are not of SL origin, however we did have this problem earlier this year and things were very worrying for an hour when we came to depart the country within the 30 period and were told that one of us was an overstayer. Furthermore, we were told that it was all our fault because we didn't check.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: visa for 35 days?

I am visiting Srilanka for 40 days and I contacted the srilanka high commission in Ottawa Canada and she said apply online before you go from hear. I am leaving on 4th of January so she said to apply in January before I leave and it will cost $50/=. But I don't understand why I need to apply in January why can't I do it now. I am going to phone tomorrow to verify that. And she said if you got a ticket before Dec 31st and staying less than 30 days no need to apply its free until march 31st

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: visa for 35 days?

The information you got from SL High Commission is outdated.

She was likely referring to online ETA (valid for 30 days). That costs USD 20 if you apply after midnight December 31.

If you intend to stay for 40 days you will either need to get a visa from SL High Commission or extend your visa after arrival in Colombo. See reply # 6.

The fee for extending in Colombo is LKR 5,500 (USD 50) for Canadian citizens.

Hans