We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good hotel in and around Colombo?

Which Colombo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
254 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Good hotel in and around Colombo?

I'm about ready to make a reservation at the Renuka City Hotel for three nights. The price is about $80 U.S. Does anybody have any experience with this hotel? Are there better places to stay for a similar price? Thanks in advance for your ideas!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,036 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good hotel in and around Colombo?

Hi there,

See

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293962-d498698…

Seems good price for the location. About the only area in Colombo with better price/value ratio is Mount Lavinia, e.g. Berjaya hotel. But further from the real centre.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Colchester
Level Contributor
898 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good hotel in and around Colombo?

As Erik says a good location but don't expect anything special in the rooms, it is OK but fairly basic. To get anything better you would need to pay a lot more at the five star places. The Restuarant at Renuka does good Sri Lankan food and all the local specialities.

David.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,623 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good hotel in and around Colombo?

If you're visiting for business and need to stay in Colombo, then that would need to be a must. However, if you intend touring, it would be better to go straight from the airport to Negombo which is closer to the airport and is probably easier to travel to other parts of the island from there. There are quite a few hotels to choose from in Nebomgo and plenty of restaurants.

Markham, Canada
Level Contributor
37 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good hotel in and around Colombo?

Try a B&B for good value. It really depends how long your flight was coming in as well, and how much you really want to spend relaxing and unwinding from your flight. If you plan on using the 5 star facilities, then go with that. If you want a good breakfast, and comfy bed, the top four B&B's listed on tripadvisor all seem to give that.

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
416 posts
694 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good hotel in and around Colombo?

I would second Travelcat´s advice. Unless you really need to be in Columbo, head straight for Negambo. Columbo has little to offer the tourist or traveller. The hotels are all overpriced and non are near anything worthwhile because there is nothing worthwhile. There doesn´t seem to be any real centre and very few restaurants that are hard to find.

Negambo on the other hand is a proper city with a proper centre, but also a full on beach resort with some great hotels and restaurants. The Jetwing hotel in Negambo is one of my all time favorites anywhere, and only around US$100 per night with breakfast. The best hotel we could find in Columbo within our price range was the Cinamon Grand. Nice five star hotel for US$140 but again, not really central to anything in particular. I would stay there again if I had to be in Columbo

denmark
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good hotel in and around Colombo?

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g499079-d505588…

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
416 posts
694 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good hotel in and around Colombo?

Sirene,

looks good in the pictures, but the reviews are nearly all bad, talking about noise from a railway line, bad smells and run down condition of the building. I will stand by my advice to give Colombo a miss unless you really have to be there...

Panadura, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
589 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good hotel in and around Colombo?

Renuka in Colombo sounds pretty too much for 80$. It's more like a 2 star. Anyway if you want to be in Colombo city you don't have many cheaper options.

As Erik has mentioned, if you wish you can be a bit towards mount lavinia side where you will find more value for money.

cheers

Tharindu

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,036 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good hotel in and around Colombo?

Yes, Tropic Inn (#2 ranked hotel in Mount) gets good reviews also for price/value, and also the guesthouses in the Mount area give lots more value for your rupee than those in Central Colombo.

Mount is far from the 'real' city centre (Fort station etc.) yes but actually quite close to another main shopping district, being Galle Road in Wellawatte-Bambalapitiya area. E.g. Majestic City, the biggest mall in town, is closer to Mount than to Fort.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

10. Re: Good hotel in and around Colombo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 February 2012, 08:06