We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sri lankan visa for indians

Which Colombo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mangalore, India
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
sri lankan visa for indians

I wish to visit my family in Sri Lanka. I am now settled in India after marriage to Indian. How do I get about obtaining a visit visa, for just two to three weeks? Please give me some information. Thank you.

Junagadh, India
1 post
Save Reply
21. Re: sri lankan visa for indians

hello sir

my name is sudhir and i am Indian.

my question is that i want marry with sri lankan girls and i will get businesses visa for one month in short time.So i am Confucius that one month visa for enough for me ?and how can get PR in short time means after marriage i can legally live in sri lanka ?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,617 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: sri lankan visa for indians

Hi there,

Congratulations with the plan, especially from Sandya ;-) !

Yes formalities for the marriage registration, which precedes the blessing ceremony (Poruwa for Sinhalese and Tamil, different form for Xtians and Muslims) by some time, don't take up more than 14 days. After that you are legally married and can start the application for a 1-year permanent residence visa, at Colombo Immigration office. Should be sufficient time, if not they'll ask you first for extending the business visa with 1-2 months.

All the best,

[Sandya] & <Erik>

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
4 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: sri lankan visa for indians

Can somebody pls explain this ETA format. I am an Indian passport holder & am travelling to srilanka on the 10th of dec for 5 days.

My understanding is that I apply for the 15 usd ETA & with a printout of the authorisation get a 3$ visit visa on arrival at colombo airport.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,617 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: sri lankan visa for indians

Hi there,

Almost. The visa is 'free' once you have the ETA. And the printout is itself not essential, but useful as backup. Immigration simply checks your passport no and then should get the ETA shown on their screen.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
4 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: sri lankan visa for indians

thank you eric for this vital info

on another note, we are 5-6 friends visiting sri lanka for the first time. Looking for a beach front villa close to colombo. from what I see online - it zooms down to negombo & Mt. Lavina. any suggestions?

Edited: 09 October 2014, 11:01
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,617 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: sri lankan visa for indians

Hi again,

Good question. Both beaches are definitely not amongst the best of the Island, but if proximity to Colombo is a must for you well so be it. Mount is a suburb of Colombo hence lots closer to it all than Negombo.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
4 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: sri lankan visa for indians

thanks once again.

yes actually we are travelling with our club crew for the amateur asian rowing championships being held in colombo. so would need to be close to the capital to support our team

Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
28. Re: sri lankan visa for indians

Dear Mr Erik,

I am travelling to Sri lanka to visit my friend for 5 days on 23rd Jan-29th Jan. I have already booked my tickets.

Also he will be sending me an invitation letter.

Can I get a visa on arrival or do I have to apply for an ETA? Is there a chance of them rejecting my visa for being a single female tourist? I have a stable job and enough funds

Pls let me know...

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,617 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: sri lankan visa for indians

Hi there,

Well it saves you 5 USD if you pre-apply for the ETA at www.eta.gov.lk. Never heard of rejections if people have enough funds.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: sri lankan visa for indians

Hi is it electronic visa or does it need a visa sticker on passport ?