We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Affordable hygienic restaurants that serve Indian cuisine

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
73 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Affordable hygienic restaurants that serve Indian cuisine

Hi,

Is any one familiar with restaurants or hotels that serve Indian cuisine in Negombo, Anuradhapura, Dambulla, Kandy, Nuwara Eliya, Kitulgala, Colombo, and which provide good hygienic conditions?

I've heard a ,lot about unhygienic street food, so just want to make a note of few good places to dine, if available.

Thanks,

Divya.

Mentioned in this post
Negombo
Negombo
Western Province, Sri Lanka
Anuradhapura
Anuradhapura
North Central Province, Sri Lanka
Dambulla
Dambulla
Central Province, Sri Lanka
Kandy
Kandy
Kandy District, Sri Lanka
Nuwara Eliya
Nuwara Eliya
Central Province, Sri Lanka
Colombo
Colombo
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Affordable hygienic restaurants that serve Indian cuisine

In Colombo I have had my lunch quite a few times at Elite Restaurant.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g293962-…

Hans

Mentioned in this post
Colombo
Colombo
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
12,030 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Affordable hygienic restaurants that serve Indian cuisine

In Colombo you are more likely to find restaurants selling Sri Lankan food.

We ate food from street vendors in Nuwawa Eliya without any problems - if they sold unhygenic food locals would quickly stop using them.

Edited: 20 February 2013, 10:29
Mentioned in this post
Colombo
Colombo
Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
73 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Affordable hygienic restaurants that serve Indian cuisine

Thanks guys....

I already have 2 on my list 1. Elite Restaurant - Colombo, 2. Sri Rams - Kandy .

Since I am travelling with middle aged family, I do not want to take any chances of trying the street food.

Thanks,

Divya.

Mentioned in this post
Colombo
Colombo
Kandy
Kandy
Kandy District, Sri Lanka
Brisbane
Level Contributor
2,258 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Affordable hygienic restaurants that serve Indian cuisine

Divya

If you are worried about issues with hygienic food then I suggest that your middle aged [ young!] family avoid in the welcome fruit drinks at guesthouses and hotels. In 40 mumble years of Sri Lanka that was my only undoing and once only.

Check also the buffet style meals in hotels as they have looked doubtful to me at times. I prefer the local eating places as the turn over is faster. Sure, you do occasionally need to either ask for a table to be wiped clean or do it yourself with a wet wipe from your bag.

There are so many different cooking styles in India maybe Sri Lankan comes close to one of them.

Archi

Mentioned in this post
Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
73 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Affordable hygienic restaurants that serve Indian cuisine

Thanks Archi, looks like we better ask our driver for a good and decent place to dine, as he would have more info, but I'm scared he would drive us to a place where he would get commission / free food.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
2,258 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Affordable hygienic restaurants that serve Indian cuisine

Hi again, Divya

Your driver should want to ensure that you are happy with everything so he will take care of your specific needs. When we were in Cambodia our driver did take us to places where he got a free meal but we were not concerned about that as they were very good places and we enjoyed our meals.

When touring in SL, only once did our driver do that and again, it was a good place and the food excellent. No harm in eating at his friend's restaurant. So, no need to be scared. The important thing is to have quality food and in a nice environment and the drivers know those places.

We liked our driver and invited him to have lunch [ local Sri Lankan food] with us each day and he mostly accepted.

Archi

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
73 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Affordable hygienic restaurants that serve Indian cuisine

Archi, thanks for the assurance.

Putten NL
Level Contributor
25 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Affordable hygienic restaurants that serve Indian cuisine

hi,

we visited friends that lived in Colombo for 4 years and they took us out for Indian food. They had a discussion about the choice of restaurants, Mango Tree or Agra. I am sure they knew the quality of both.

We went to Agra and I can assure you, it was of of the best meals I ever ate!

We were a party if 5 and each chose a different dish which we shared and all were delicious.

Besides, I must say, we visited Sri Lanka 2 times and ate at numerous places and never got sick.

Quite jealous that you get to go, enjoy! Mona

Mentioned in this post
Colombo
Colombo
Agra
Agra
Agra District, India
9. Re: Affordable hygienic restaurants that serve Indian cuisine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2014, 06:15