We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary - 23 days in Sri Lanka in Dec

Singapore
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary - 23 days in Sri Lanka in Dec

Hi, I am a solo woman traveller. First trip to sri lanka. The places I am interested in are pretty much of the hill country - Kandy, Adam's peak, train ride between ella n haputale, world end's, nuwara liya; a nice beach [galle? unawatuna? mirissa]; and sigiriya. can i see any leopards in the national park in Dec? Would it be too tight to swing a visit to Jaffna? or the East Coast? did i miz out any must-see?

appreciate your advice on the route and transport arrangement. I am really clueless where to go and how to after i arrive at the airport. many thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Adam's Peak
Adam's Peak
1,389 Reviews
Nallathanniya, Sri Lanka
Kandy
Kandy
Kandy District, Sri Lanka
Kandy
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary - 23 days in Sri Lanka in Dec

East Coast in December I think is no point. East Coast will not be safe for swimming. Around Pigeon Island you can always swim and snorkel. However to get to Pigeon Island you would have to take a boat from Nilaveli (close to Trinco). But when the sea is rough boats do not go to Pigeon Island.

I think Jaffna is ok as long as it has your interest. You can stay in Colombo till night and take a bus. These buses start from Wellawatta. You will be in Jaffna in the morning. You could arrange a vehicle in Jaffna to take you around.

From Jaffna you can then move to a hotel close to Sigiriya. If you are staying few days then could also consider Dambulla Rock and even Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa.

From Sigiriya then you could travel to Kandy (for Temple, Botanical Garden, Pinnawala). From Kandy upto Ella can be done through train.

From Kandy railway station or Peredeniya railway station take the train to Hatton. Stay in Dalhousie or Hatton to do the Adams Peak climb. However, remember that people generally start to climb in December. If you are in Hatton after season starts then there won’t be any issue for you.

For Nuwara Eliya, you can take the train from Hatton to Nanu Oya (closes station to Nuwara Eliya).

For Worlds End/Horton Plains the closes would be Ohiya. From Nanu Oya railway station you can take the train to Ohiya. Ohiya has great views like Haputale and Ella and is a good place to do the Worlds End Walk. But you could also do Worlds End from Nuwara Eliya or Haputale.

From Ohiya you could take the train to Haputale. Don’t miss Lipton Seat in Haputale.

Again take the train from Haputale to Ella (Little Adams Peak, Ella Rock).

Then you can move to a place close to Yala. Leopard sighting is based on your luck.

From Yala then move to your beach destination. Galle itself does not have a good beach. Unawatuna anyway is also close to Galle. Better to choose between Unawatuna and Mirrissa. Also you could consider in splitting your remaining days between Mirissa and Unawatuna.

Mentioned in this post
Polonnaruwa
Polonnaruwa
1,649 Reviews
Polonnaruwa, Sri Lanka
Adam's Peak
Adam's Peak
1,389 Reviews
Nallathanniya, Sri Lanka
Worlds End
Worlds End
128 Reviews
Ohiya, Sri Lanka
Little Adam's Peak
Little Adam's Peak
4,085 Reviews
Ella, Sri Lanka
Colombo
Colombo
Western Province, Sri Lanka
Sigiriya
Sigiriya
Central Province, Sri Lanka
Dambulla
Dambulla
Anuradhapura
Anuradhapura
North Central Province, Sri Lanka
Kandy
Kandy
Kandy District, Sri Lanka
Ella
Ella
Uva Province, Sri Lanka
Nuwara Eliya
Nuwara Eliya
Galle
Galle
Galle District, Sri Lanka
Unawatuna
Unawatuna
Galle District, Sri Lanka
Mirissa
Mirissa
Southern Province, Sri Lanka
2. Re: Itinerary - 23 days in Sri Lanka in Dec

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2013, 13:38
Brisbane
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary - 23 days in Sri Lanka in Dec

Hello Kawaii

December in the Jaffna and Anuradhapura area is likely to be wet, even very wet. I don't actually mind that unless there are floods, but thought it should be mentioned.

Jaffna is well worth a visit and the Cultural Triangle area, especially from Anuradhapura - Polonnaruwa - Mihintale etc is the truly unique part of the country.

Regards

Archi

Mentioned in this post
Polonnaruwa
Polonnaruwa
1,649 Reviews
Polonnaruwa, Sri Lanka
Mihintale
Mihintale
1,137 Reviews
Anuradhapura, Sri Lanka
Anuradhapura
Anuradhapura
North Central Province, Sri Lanka
4. Re: Itinerary - 23 days in Sri Lanka in Dec

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2014, 06:20