We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Galle to Colombo

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Galle to Colombo

We are both bothered about what class of train we travel on but just wanting any recommedations on the best train or time to be able to get a seat on this route?

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Galle to Colombo

All trains from Galle to Colombo only have 2nd and 3rd class - except one afternoon train has a luxury Rajdhani Express carriage attached (can be booked on the internet).

You can fin train timetables here:

www.gic.gov.lk/gic/index.php…

Hans

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,485 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Galle to Colombo

I would chose the Rajadhani if you want to ensure yourself of a seat! I think the ticket is just Rs.990. I was not impressed with the train ride to Galle. Took bus on highway back.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Galle to Colombo

Thanks for your advice - my initial question should have read "We are not bothered" .

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,762 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Galle to Colombo

There's not much difference between Class 2 & 3 to be honest, although 2nd Class will be less crowded

I would also check the timetable to make sure you're getting a fast train rather than a slow train that stops every 5 mins

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,168 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Galle to Colombo

Well from the Top Question

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293961-c195051/Sri-L…

"Similarly, if you embark towards Colombo from Galle try to be there 20 mins before scheduled time – the train comes in that time from Matara and the loc is moved to the other side, when you come later all seats are often grabbed."

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Galle to Colombo

The newer S-11 units have engines at both ends of the train, so only the loc driver has to move.

Hans

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,762 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Galle to Colombo

So if you get the train from Matera to Colombo, there's no need to change at all, in Galle I assume ?.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,168 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Galle to Colombo

Absolutely! Always through trains.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Galle to Colombo

Thanks all so much 2nd class sounds perfect will be sure to get to the station early

10. Re: Train from Galle to Colombo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2014, 05:18