We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport to Peradeniya

Which Colombo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
4 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Airport to Peradeniya

I know there are so many questions about getting to Kandy from airport but I would be very grateful to get an updated information.

I'm arriving at 8:05 am on Tuesday and I would like to go to Peradeniya (I have a guesthouse there). It's a low budget trip so I want to avoid private drivers, taxis etc. I'm a little confused because I have read so many advices and I don't know which one is the best anymore.

1. Bus - 187 from the airport to Katunayake bus stand (is it still free?) and then a bus to Kandy. Does it stop in Peradeniya?

2. Train - bus 187 from the airport (it says here, that after Katunayake it goes on to Colombo fort -> http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293962-i9270-k6540808-Colombo_airport_to_fort_train_station-Colombo.html) to Colombo fort and then a train to Kandy?

Or maybe it's better to take the private bus that goes directly to Colombo fort from the airport (also mentioned at the end of that topic)?

3. I was also advised to go to Veyangoda railway station and then take a train to Kandy. Is taxi the only way to get to Veyagonda? How much would it cost?

I would really appreciate some help. The first option seems to be the easiest and fastest one but maybe train would be better? I'm not going to have a huge luggage, only a backpack.

Thank you!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,453 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport to Peradeniya

Hi there,

Good homework!

1] Yes that stretch of #187 is free. And some Airport-Kandy buses follow the Kegalle route and will stop Peradeniya, others will follow the Kurunegala route and won't even pass Peradeniya (so for them after reaching Kandy you need another bus to Peradeniya, 15 mins and cheap)

2+] (New private bus). Yes that works too. And indeed next to 187 there now is another bus service to Fort using E-way, it's airport location is described in that topic. Myself need to take opposite direction, still not clear where it leaves from in town.

3] Another option yes, but hard to get seats in the trains there. Tuktuk to that station maybe Rs 1500 and cab Rs 2200.

All the best.

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
4 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport to Peradeniya

Your help is so much appreciated! Thank you!

3. Re: Airport to Peradeniya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2014, 05:17