We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transport from Colombo to Hikkaduwa

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
transport from Colombo to Hikkaduwa

What would be the easiest way to go to Hikkaduwa from the Immigration Office in Colombo. Is it bus or train, where is the station and what times do they leave. When in Hikkaduwa my husband and I are looking for 2 star place. Clean with own bathroom near beach for $30. We will stay for 1 month. Any suggestions. I notice a lot of places do not have air condition. Is it cool at night. Thank you.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
58,658 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transport from Colombo to Hikkaduwa

Hi there,

No main difference. Inside Colombo, at railway station or bus stand, you always need to transfer to another bus to Borella for the office. See top question on public transport on how to find train times; station is to the north of city centre/bus stand. Can't help much with acco. It's still quite hot at night but a fan is often as good as, or even better than, airco.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transport from Colombo to Hikkaduwa

I would take a bus/tuk tuk to Maradana station to take the train to Hikkaduwa.

Hans

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: transport from Colombo to Hikkaduwa

Hi

colombo to Hikkaduwa now best way to use air condition public bus train cheap and good bus station very close to immigration take toktok every toktok guys know bus station and train station accommadations Hikkaduwa better you reach Hikkaduwa you can find your price and your choice

happy trip

Horana, null, Sri...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: transport from Colombo to Hikkaduwa

Go to the Maradana railway station, get a 2nd class ticket, get in to the train and sit in the right side (the side when you stand towards Fort station) where you expose to the sea side later. Also sit near a opened window (if there is a fan near the seat where you sit it would be more comfortable). Then you can go Hikkaduwa. Also you can go by a intercity bus from Pettah.

Railway time schedule: www.gic.gov.lk/gic/…

Edited: 09 December 2013, 10:41
Mentioned in this post
Pettah
Pettah
238 Reviews
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transport from Colombo to Hikkaduwa

thanks to all of you for so much help.

Essex
Level Contributor
65 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transport from Colombo to Hikkaduwa

I have looked at the timetable but not sure if the trains stop at Hikka on Saturdays. Considering the transfer time from the airport to resort, the train seems the quicker option.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: transport from Colombo to Hikkaduwa

Trains also stop at Hikkaduwa on Saturdays. Quickest option would be car/van with driver.

Hans

8. Re: transport from Colombo to Hikkaduwa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2014, 05:18