We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galle Face Hotel Verandah

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
178 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Galle Face Hotel Verandah

Hi Everybody,

Is the Galle Face Hotel Verandah closed at the moment? We will be there the end of January and had hoped to visit it again.......

Ranger Bob Oslo, Norway

"Remember, wherever you go, there you are"

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,829 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Galle Face Hotel Verandah

Hi there,

Half. The old wing including Sea Spray restaurant is closed for refurb. The Regency wing is open however, including the part of the restaurant attached to it.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Queensland
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Galle Face Hotel Verandah

Was there in November and went by the Galle Face Hotel knowing it was under renovation, however I was suprised by how much work is being done at once. Basically the whole front facing the green is cordoned off, scaffold in place and all windows taken out and a lot of workmen and trucks on site. It really was a different sight from the hotel I visited earlier in the year but understand this work must be done. Saying that the Regency wing is still operational for accommodation which is behind the front of the hotel but I doubt much else is open in the hotel. When I visited their website all functions had been postponed. It is a pretty major refurb they are doing but hopefully it will be done fast. I suggest emailing the hotel directly for info. Personally my thoughts are if any other part of the hotel is functional you will be disturbed by noise. My visit was about 6 weeks ago so there maybe some improvement or completion of the works by now.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
5,139 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Galle Face Hotel Verandah

Well yes, as Erik said, the seagood restaurant is closed. So is the main restaurant around the terrace. So you won't get to have any verandah dinners/breakfasts or high teas. The pool bar and the surrounding area is still open.

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
241 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Galle Face Hotel Verandah

I'm guessing that the renovations won't be complete when we are booked to stay in late February. Not that the hotel staff let us know that. I'm disappointed that the Verandah is going to be closed as well, was looking forward to sitting down with a cold drink watching the world go by.... I guess that might have to be another time.

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
241 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Galle Face Hotel Verandah

Just checked the hotel's website and they state whilst the Verandah restaurant is closed as part of the ongoing renovations, the 1864, the Poolside Terrace and Chequerboard restaurants all remain open.

6. Re: Galle Face Hotel Verandah

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2015, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Colombo
Recent Conversations